Solving the natural speech recognition problem across languages & accents

The other day I wrote about the new voice search feature included on their site by Flipkart and CEans reported that the service didn't work 100% for them. I believe there's a big problem to be solved in the computer science domain and it has the potential to change the way people use computers and other computing devices - because that would make the next big shift in computing.

Right now, speech recognition works only with English language and that too mostly with American and British accents. Of course, this is changing rapidly; but it'll still be a long time before there's a unified approach / solution that works across various languages and accents.

At present, even English language recognition fails with different accents. Do you propose any solution to this problem? You'd be creating the next revolution in computing!

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Building speech recognition software which can be applied universally is not possible. It will need a lot of resources. I have an idea which if deployed can make this happen. You can build a web portal for it. If you stay in India and use that software, the device will send that voice to the Indian module of the web side application of the software and figure that out in Indian accent way. Like that we will have to individually draft it for 10000000 accents in the world where the identification part is done web side. This is effective but its very big project which will need a lot of money. Our start up had this idea to build this but we don't have that kind of money so we scrapped it until future scenes. But this is the only deployable approach possible according to me. We can add as many languages we want in that.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry for being rude.
    I strongly beleive speech recognization is not a feature i would be looking for in any mode.
    On this topic,why not if languages can be implemented in a app or software why not accents.I accept that it requires more effort to make it a acceptable and its sometimes good to have a speech sofware.
    It may be handy for blind people.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Well I appreciate your concern but it is just not feasible to make such an app to work locally without deploying a web portal for it. Think of the number of languages we have in the world. Then calculate the accents they are spoken in. Every 100miles, the accent and language changes in places like India. So its not just possible to make it all into one app. Web portal however is feasible. Plus the data pool it will need and resources for such stuff cannot be fitted into one gadget in hand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been using iPad for almost 2 years now and have always wished if I could do some real productive work on it, apart from email. There were times I...
NASA's engineers are planning to deliver solar energy on Earth via platforms located in the orbit. John Mankins is heading the project which is in development stages. The project is...
I want all the CE developers to peek their nose into this topic.Consider if you are a developer and creating a new app or software. What are the difficulties faced...
Well, this year 2013 will mark a decade for company I formed and nurtured, M/S Integrated Ideas. In less 10 years Google and Facebook have grown at an exponential multiple....
As all we know current Indian auto industry is not in a good phase where it had faced severe losses and decrease in new sales. Though this news is not...