[Solved] Mobile Data Icon Missing On Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge

Update: Steps to fix this problem that caused mobile data icon to go missing from QuickPanel on Samsung S6 and S6 Edge phones is given below: #-Link-Snipped-#

The mobile data icon typically available in the quick settings drawer on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge is missing. I began noticing the problem since yesterday afternoon after I checked for the firmware upgrade OTA. Note that I did not install any update or even got notification. I do not recall Android asking for my permission to install any update. Yet, there's some software glitch that's caused the mobile data icon go missing from the quick settings menu.

If you haven't configured your quick settings menu, the mobile data icon typically appears between the bluetooth and power-saving mode options in the quick menu settings. You can of course edit what icons appear in the list; but this new bug seems to be popping out from nowhere.

I checked my Android firmware version by heading to Settings -> About device -> Android Version and it shows 5.0.2. That means the bug has got nothing to do with any of the android update. I checked if the problem is a result of any app installation - and it's not!

I then searched online to see if it's just my phone that's experiencing this weird issue - and found out that there are several galaxy s6 and s6 edge users having the same problem on their phones. I also discovered that this problem is not only limited to users from US or Canada; but many users in India have been affected as well.

Apparently there is no definitive fix available for this issue. I'm keeping a check on available solution. If your phone has been affected, I'd recommend subscribing to this discussion so that you get notified as soon as someone posts a fix.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Those who do not know how to enable the mobile data on their phones may check these steps: -
    1. Tap on the 'settings' icon.
    2. In 'Connection's tap on 'Data Usage' option. If you don't find it, just search for it from the 'Search' option in the top right corner.
    3. You will now see 'MOBILE' tab and inside it, you will see 'Mobile Data' toggle button. Tap on it to enable your data. You will have to repeat above steps to turn off data.
    Samsung has acknowledged this software issue and is looking for a fix. Apparently all the galaxy users should be receiving an update over the air. There's no ETA yet. There is a fix available on XDA forums; but it uses an APK to fix the problem. If the mobile data quick setting option isn't crucial to you (because you can still enable it from the steps mentioned above), do not install a new apk. Wait for the official fix from Samsung.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like Samsung engineers believe we all rely heavily on WiFi. Mobile data isnt taking back seat anytime soon.

PS: If only there were free high-speed WiFi hotspots everywhere. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Just noticed, when you dial someone on galaxy s6... Dialling spelling is wrong ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anil Jain
    Just noticed, when you dial someone on galaxy s6... Dialling spelling is wrong ๐Ÿ˜›
    Both the spellings are right, I guess. There are no set rules for that in English, IMHO. But there's something seriously wrong with the toggle buttons! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Samsung has released a QuickPanel Restore App to fix the problem. All you need to do is head over to your 'Galaxy Apps' and then search for 'QuickPanel Restore' app. It's a very small app that will be installed on your phone with a tap.

Once installed, open the app and it will show a 'Restore' button. Tap on the button and you will get a confirmation message that the panel has been restored. The app will then automatically offer an option to uninstall the app - and you may safely uninstall it.

You may then edit the quickpanel settings and rearrange all the icons as per your choice.

I'm wondering why did Samsung choose to provide a new app to fix this problem. It could have been offered with a simple firmware upgrade.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering why did Samsung choose to provide a new app to fix this problem. It could have been offered with a simple firmware upgrade.
    To fix this using app is easy then firmware update. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In many job listings on Google Careers page, there are a lot of vacancies for the job of a technical writer at Google. The listing notes that technical writers are...
Graphene continues to surprise researchers all over the world with its incredible characteristics. The latest Graphene miracle is all about turning 1 atom thick Graphene layer into a source of...
ISRO is preparing to launch 'Aditya-1' satellite in the next 3-4 years. The first ever satellite to the Sun from India was earlier expected to go to the Sun back...
hi.. i got a job as a php developer..But i know c# and asp.net. Is the right way to shift the .net side or not. php developer has a bright...
"Which foreign language should I learn from career point of view?" "Which foreign language has the most scope now-a-days?" "Which foreign language can give a boost to my career?" "Which...