hi friends,
i am here with the thread for solar energy
if we think about solar energy there comes 3 questions into existence
1.why we went to solar energy?
2.what is it?
3.how we get it and what are advantages and disadvantages
i have some answers here
for 1st one
it can be explained as the sources we are available are wind energy,water energy ie.., hydel energy,thermal energy or coal energy,nuclear energy etc.........,
in this water,thermal and nuclear energies will come to an end at some time
wind energy,solar are having some disadvantages and others are still in research level
here wind energy generate only some limited energy and this will occur good when we heavy winds
coming to solar
its a source which exits until earth meets its doom
so.we came to the solar energy
next question is what is it?
i believe answer is this
its an energy which lasts forever for humans so it is energy coming from sun
in this we convert sun's heat energy to electrical energy
next question will be how we got it?
for this question there is a simple answer as from sun
here we convert sun heat to electrical energy by using solar cells and we can also call it as photo voltaic cells
these cells operation is kind of difficult to explain
in my view they are the cells kind of detectors which uses of photo detectors and takes energy
well.... now coming to advantages and disadvantages
advantages: it is total energy which generates until earth exits and we can generate electricity forever
disadvantages: it is exists for only sun appears i.e.....,
we get the energy for only 14 hours (saying depending on present technology)
and research is going to improve this

i hope we will get 24 hours supply from this energy at some day

@CEans: please continue this thread on giving your informations and views on this energy

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Solar energy is a very good renewable energy source.
    It causes no problems like greenhouse gas emissions and requires minimal maintenance.
    The downside of it is that it is very expensive and there is a low efficiency rate of conversion of solar light to energy (about 15-18 percent.
    It also depends on where you live because some places receive a very high amount of sunlight compared to other areas
  • lal
    lal
    Solar energy is a very clean source of energy. There are two types of energy conversions - photo thermal conversion and photo voltaic conversion.

In photo-thermal conversion, the heat in the solar radiation is extracted for various uses. A solar heater is a very good example for this. We cannot directly generate electricity by this process. Indirectly, by heating substances like freon or isobutane and thus increasing its pressure can be used to rotate the prime mover of a generator and thus generate electricity. Its INDIRECT.

Photo-voltaic conversion on the other hand is DIRECT conversion of solar energy to electrical energy. Or we can say more clearly as conversion of light energy to electrical energy. The basic principle is, when a p-n junction is illuminated, the photons impart its energy creating electron-hole pairs. This results in a photo current. Heat in the solar radiation has no significance here. Commercially the efficiency of solar cells are only less than 20%.

(Note this: photo voltaic cells do not convert heat energy to electrical energy. But its the conversion of light energy to electrical energy)
  • lal
    lal
    In harnessing solar energy, as akd said, it depends upon the availability of sun.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @lal: but sun will be always exits it went to set because of the earth rotation why cant we develop a technology in earth by taking the power from outer space i think our CE-infocus given some post regarding this but by friend is saying it has lower efficiency why cant we improve it
  • lal
    lal
    I agree that sun is always there. I was talking about the availability of solar radiations. At night we dont get it, na?

Transporting power from outer space to earth. I think its still in its infant state. To implement such a technology, it should be economical, practical and not harmful to nature. I believe, there is still a long way to go.

'Why cant we improve the efficiency?'
    Its not just you who is asking this. Every scientist in this field will be trying to find the answer for this. Researches are going on.. For that break through!
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    hey Narayana,

Nice work.....

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • baja
    baja
    yes a good but energy density is less... compared to wind geothermal tidal and hydro....
    a new energy technology should be introduced to increase power with increased efficiency and with decreased pollution..
  • jackjones
    jackjones
    In my opinion, there are no cons of using solar power. Its an organic process of obtaining energy from light. The physical components of a solar powered machines, such as #-Link-Snipped-#, panels, etc. are all manufactured under strict guidelines which help maintain the overall 'clean' essence.
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    You are right murthy it's possible to obtain the solar power from outer space for 24*7. Also if we do so there will be high power density obtained than we harness in our earth. But the problem is transmitting them to our earth. There is this wireless power transmission comes into play. If we want to harness power from outer space then we got to master the wireless power transmission.

NASA is trying to achieve this for decades and reached some levels now(they were keeping some research's as secret) . They were trying to achieve wireless power transmission by microwaves and lasers. Already their are some success stories of NASA wireless power transmission ans harnessing solar from outer space. It's hard to mention them all here.

If any CEan try getting those information's and put them here as a thread, then that was so appreciable.

narayana murthy
    @lal: but sun will be always exits it went to set because of the earth rotation why cant we develop a technology in earth by taking the power from outer space i think our CE-infocus given some post regarding this but by friend is saying it has lower efficiency why cant we improve it
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    The solar panels developed by U.S. Department of Energy can produce electricity even at nights. They were designed to not only convert the direct visible light falling on the solar panels. They also can absorb the infrared radiation's and convert them into electricity. After some modification sooner or later they will hit the market.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    as per my thinking they would be more costlier i think it is more better if we have more solar energy research on upcoming days

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, Ever wondered of a crank shaft? Well this is a single one piece casting or a forged part.The material is heat treated alloy steel.The crankshafts may be unbalanced.So...
I remember ever since I was in IT company the most common complaint every software engineer had was the food served in IT companies. I'm not sure why - but...
What if HR asks this? You didn't completed your work within the deadline since you got some technical problem in your company and the client is shouting at you and...
Hey Guys If anybody has information related to neuclear-cytoplasmic ratio (the actual values for the 3 stages of cervical cancer(i.e HSIL LSIL and normal) please help me out here .any...
CEans, Good news for all the CEans who access CE via mobile devices. We'll soon have a mobile style for CE. I've carried out few tests but there are few...