Simple explanation of Piezoelectric Effect

Hello, I am Tarun and I am studying electronics engineering. I want to know what is the actual meaning of peizoelectric effect? Please explain it in simple words.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The tendency of generating charges when a force is applied on a crystal by external agents
  • Tarun Goel
    Tarun Goel
    Hey then why we don't adopt this tech. in metroes or railways or anywhere, by putting some crystals so that by the mechanical force of us during walking this produce charge and we can store this in some battery .
    OR we can simply use a MAT formed of crystals.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The cost and the power they generate are little below efficient

They are under research and can be implemented in a small scale cause of the price tag they come with

Additional circuitory is needed to amplify the power derived from the crystal these circuits consume almost 100 % of power generated by the crystals
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Steven Brooks
    Hello Members,

'Piezoelectricity' is the ability of certain crystals to produce a voltage when subjected to mechanical stress. Piezoelectric effect is the property of some materials to convert mechanical energy to electrical current.

Thanks and Regards,
    Steven Brooks
    I think you are mistaken pal

The current produced due to piezoelectric effect is called piezoelectricity and the ability of the crystal is called as piezo property and the process involved is called as piezoelectric effect
  • Henri
    Henri
    when pressure is applied on two crystals....a given amount of that pressure causes the generation of a small voltage,,,
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Henri
    when pressure is applied on two crystals....a given amount of that pressure causes the generation of a small voltage,,,
    I getting a little confused her what do you mean

Do you mean that a little of this pressure is converted into potential
  • Henri
    Henri
    Steven Brooks
    Hello Members,

'Piezoelectricity' is the ability of certain crystals to produce a voltage when subjected to mechanical stress. Piezoelectric effect is the property of some materials to convert mechanical energy to electrical current.

Thanks and Regards,
    Steven Brooks
    i think you are wrong...Piezzoelectricity has nothing to do with conversion of mechanical energy to electric current,And it only applies to crystals....plus instead of using the term mechanical stress which is broad..it would be better to say PRESSURE

jeffrey samuel
    I think you are mistaken pal

The current produced due to piezoelectric effect is called piezoelectricity and the ability of the crystal is called as piezo property and the process involved is called as piezoelectric effect
  • Henri
    Henri
    it is not the pressure that
    jeffrey samuel
    I getting a little confused her what do you mean

Do you mean that a little of this pressure is converted into potential
    is converted into electricity...the pressure causes movement of sub-atomic particles within the crystal structure,,,when a conductor is present...say a wire connected to a bulb from the two crystals....work is done to drive electrons through that conductor....causing somewat a p.d
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Steven is right.
    Some crystals when subject to a mechanical stress (squeezed) produce a voltage. Conversely if a voltage is applied to these crystals there will be a mechanical distortion.
    The first effect is used in piezoelectric devices like a gas lighter. When you push the plunger a spring releases the push energy in a sudden kick which produces the spark that lights the gas. The same effect is used in many other devices as well.

The reverse effect is used for generating ultrasound. When an ultra sound frequency voltage is applied to the crystal it starts vibrating mechanically at that frequency producing ultra sound.
  • Henri
    Henri
    bioramani
    Steven is right.
    Some crystals when subject to a mechanical stress (squeezed) produce a voltage. Conversely if a voltage is applied to these crystals there will be a mechanical distortion.
    The first effect is used in piezoelectric devices like a gas lighter. When you push the plunger a spring releases the push energy in a sudden kick which produces the spark that lights the gas. The same effect is used in many other devices as well.

The reverse effect is used for generating ultrasound. When an ultra sound frequency voltage is applied to the crystal it starts vibrating mechanically at that frequency producing ultra sound.
    when subjected to stress,,,,well according to Steven..it is that mechanical force that is converted to voltage...i think that is wrong
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Henri
    when subjected to stress,,,,well according to Steven..it is that mechanical force that is converted to voltage...i think that is wrong
    Nothing wrong in that. When a crystal is distorted the change in the shape of the constituent unit cells changes the charge separation distance, which appears as a change in the surface charge. Conversely if a voltage change is applied to the crystal it deforms mechanically, which is how an ultrasonic transducer works.
  • Henri
    Henri
    bioramani
    Nothing wrong in that. When a crystal is distorted the change in the shape of the constituent unit cells changes the charge separation distance, which appears as a change in the surface charge. Conversely if a voltage change is applied to the crystal it deforms mechanically, which is how an ultrasonic transducer works.
    bioramani...i see what you mean...but don't you think its far-fetched?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Henri
    bioramani...i see what you mean...but don't you think its far-fetched?
    I am sure that you have used gas lighters, where you push a lever on top. The lever moves slowly and then there is a sudden jerk with a spark coming between the bottom two electrodes. This is because of this effect.
    [​IMG]
    Gas Lighter
  • Henri
    Henri
    haha....100
    bioramani
    I am sure that you have used gas lighters, where you push a lever on top. The lever moves slowly and then there is a sudden jerk with a spark coming between the bottom two electrodes. This is because of this effect.
    [​IMG]
    Gas Lighter
    hahaha...100% agreement with you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi , Finally we decided to make a final year project in Electrical Control as " Plastic Thermoforming Production Line " , I arranged the processes as follow : 1-...
This style of drawing is a tribute to xkcd. You all know what that site is about 😀
Can a non Android mobile be used to access CE website with all its functionalities
We have seen many websites that sell online goods.From an engineers point of view, I would like to know how they actually work in background. Thanks.
Which will have a faster response inverting amplifier or an non inverting one Both have the same number of components https://www.ehow.com/how_7575016_calculate-opamp-settling-time.html I tried this out but it was not really...