Should Governments Control The Internet?

We've seen it recently. The governments have a Internet Switch which they can turn on or off according to their will. Especially in emergency time, government can take control of the Internet and stop access to digital information.

Do you think it's justified that governments should control what information people can access?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    The_Big_K
    We've seen it recently. The governments have a Internet Switch which they can turn on or off according to their will. Especially in emergency time, government can take control of the Internet and stop access to digital information.

Do you think it's justified that governments should control what information people can access?
    no in my view its a wrong thing
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    The_Big_K
    I think in countries where there is dictatorship rather than democracy like Libya, china, Bahrein, etc,. governments should not be able to control the information access. Internet has now become a nice channel for expressing thoughts and sharing of information. Government should give its citizens full right to express themselves. Giving full rights to government to control information will surely stand against common people in non-democratic countries, Because the government will not have to give out any reason for any action.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    narayana murthy
    no in my view its a wrong thing
    Why is it so?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    The_Big_K
    Why is it so?
    because there will be more personal information if it happens there will be made public
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Freedom is necessary especially on internet. Isn't it a bad thing that countries even after being 'Free' have to be slaves of people like Col. Muammar Gaddafi and Zine El Abedine Ben Ali and Hosni Mubarak well the list does not die there are still a lot.
    Internet gives us an effective medium to communicate and government should not control it. However people have to be more responsible also.
    It is an effective way of communicating and communicating can do wonders. See the following video. A tyrannical rule can be overthrown through internet.[video] RSA ANIMATE: Language as a Window into Human Nature - YouTube[/video]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Red Quanta is Mumbai, India based startup that is trying out mystry shopping in India. I'm new to the concept and found out following information about mystry shopping from RQ's...
Value - An Inspiring Lesson! Just wanted to share!! Enjoy!!😛 [video=youtube;T_Hb3wyauPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Hb3wyauPg[/video]
For me, one of the most important criteria while buying an electronic gadget (phone, audio player, video player, camera) is its battery life. Now a days, mobile phones serve all...
We have a detailed post on VoiCE that covers what's new in Internet Explorer 9. I've been using it as my primary browser on my desktop and laptop, however, the...
I've been hearing that Pune University Results are expected today in next few minutes. Do we have any CEans from Pune to keep all our fellow CEans updated on the...