Security flaw in Free BSD provides root access

It has just been discovered that a critical security hole in the latest version of FreeBSD can be exploited to grant unprivileged users absolute full control over the operating system

The security bug is present in FreeBSD 8.0 and is known to affect versions 7.1 and 7.2 of the open-source OS as well

The security flaw resides in FreeBSD's so-called run-time link editor. A binary run by an unprivileged Unix user can be executed with administrative privileges in a restricted environment

This would allow the user to obtain complete root access to the operating system.

All that's required to run the exploit code, is any standard SSH command shell.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today Facebook is rolling out a new set of more granular privacy controls to its 350 million members. Founder Mark Zuckerberg already announced the changes on December 1, but today...
Watch the new Dishtv commercial which has already created waves because of the new look of King Khan [youtube]
Hi all I am building myself a remote controlled car with a lawnmower engine, and am currently having some difficulty in designing a steering mechanism, hoping all you guys could...
Hi all I am building myself a remote controlled car with a lawnmower engine, and am currently having some difficulty in designing a steering mechanism, hoping all you guys could...
hi all, i would like to know what type of pump i may use to supply paint (water-based) onto a roller; it is like an overhead discharge system where a...