HELP: what type of pump is best for water-based paint?

hi all,

i would like to know what type of pump i may use to supply paint (water-based) onto a roller; it is like an overhead discharge system where a manifold consisting of several closely spaced apertures provides paint onto a roller situated below the manifold.

where can i find information about the discharge/flow rate of paint on a normal 10 inch roller??

waiting for your help,

satanas

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    I cant speak with authority on this topic, but there a couple of things that come to my mind immediately. And you will have to focus on a few basic points.

1. What is the surface that you want to paint eg. a wall, a flooring, a metal surface etc.
    This will decide the amount of paint, thickness of coats, and number of coats required.

2. The coat thickness is measured in terms of 'Millimeters' and is usually referred to as 'mm' or 'mils'.

Then comes your question. For the pump part:

There are 'Centrifuges' with agitators and Recirculators which connect to the manifolds assembly that supply or pump water based paints to such manifolds.

The flowrate/ discharge is measured in terms of Gallons Per Minute ( gpm).
    And there are various Centrifuge types with different capacities and features which can cater to various flowrates (gpm's) as per requirement.

Now you have to deicde the flowrate depending on a combination of the factors like the rate of movement of the roller ( if automated), the coat thickness and the number of coats.
    This is because ( I think so, if wrong correct me) if the flowrate is mor than the roller feed rate then the paint will be dripping in excess overflowing anf spoiling the coat and the process plus surface on the whole.

Anf if it lags then there will be many undone patches and uneven surfaces created. the coats and proper thickness will not be maintained.

You can adjust the roller motion speed according to the most relevant and close gpm available in the market anf the finish you require if the process is manually done.

You can check out the local paint manufacturers or painting accessories suppliers for beter details.

Guys correct any mistakes if there. And add to my knowledge.
  • satanas
    satanas
    thx rohan for your insight!! now i can try to select my pump.. however, if you have more info on how much paint we use when we paint manually -i.e. when we drip the roller in the paint tray once- that would be beneficial to me..
    i dont have any facilities or equipments to perform these tests.

thanks..
    satanas

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey CEs ! I'm Prashanth from Chennai. ( call me pechu 😉 ) Doing Final year in I.T. in Chennai. I have interest in Web development, Web designing and Gaming....
I am a final year engineering student.I have decided to do my academic project on information assurance taking e-land registration as business process model.I am in search of ideas to...
Hi anyone, I am sorry about my first posts is "Advertisements". Thanks for you remind.
[FONT=宋体]I bought a battery as below :[/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体][/FONT][FONT=宋体]12 Cell HP Pavilion DV2000 DV6000 Battery 8800mAh[/FONT][FONT=宋体]It's the same models,but are with diffirent price.what's the difference?how we can recognize the good&bad battery?[/FONT]
Hi, I am doing my 6th semseter Btech in I.T and need to do a project... So the topic I choose is to control a PC by using a mobile...