Samsung Galaxy S5 To Have 2K Display - Rumour

Samsung's new phone model SM-G900S (or should we call it Samsung Galaxy S5) has mysterously apeared on GFXBench website. The mystery phone boasts of 2K resolution aka 2560x1440 pixels. Other interesting aspects of the phone include a quad-core Snapdragon 8000 CPU that operates at 2.5 GHz. Adreno 330 GPU (expected to be MSM8974AC chip) running Android 4.4 Kit-Kat. The phone could be the next version of Round, aka Round 2.

galaxy-s5

The timing of the phone indicates that the phone could be an early version of Samsung Galaxy S5 - which is expected to be unveiled in the Q1 of 2014. Whenever the phone arrives and whatever be its name - one thing is sure - the display is going to be kick ass! We do not have any information about the overall size of the display but it would surely be around 5", with a pixel density of about 560 ppi aka pixels per inch.

Samsung Galaxy lovers may express their thoughts below this article.

Source: Samsung SM-G900S with 2K display, 2.5 GHz Snapdragon processor shows up in Benchmark

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Samsung is not going to use Snapdragon 800 processor, if S5 is planned to be launched in between first & second quarter of 2014. SoC designers have already started working for 64-bit ARM processors which will be unveiled in CES2014 in between 7th & 10th January.
    Since, Apple iphone 5S comes with 64bit ARMv8 processor, A7. I don't think it's arch-rival Samsung will stick to 32bit ARM. I expect 64bit ARM in S5 too.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    correct me here
    2560x1440 = 3.6 million is much more .
    Full HD is 1920 × 1080 = 1.9 million , horizontal resolution is close to 2K.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking, I only quoted ToI article without really thinking about it. I should be more careful from next time. It however looks like the exact resolution is not known and the display is believed to be 2K, maybe 2x Full HD?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking, I only quoted ToI article without really thinking about it. I should be more careful from next time. It however looks like the exact resolution is not known and the display is believed to be 2K, maybe 2x Full HD?
    With 2K of high resolution display, processing speed and the qualifications to be the next 'Round', I wonder if this will have a good battery. The 'Round' itself could manage only about 1080p with 2800mah battery.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Anoop Kumar
    correct me here
    2560x1440 = 3.6 million is much more .
    Full HD is 1920 × 1080 = 1.9 million , horizontal resolution is close to 2K.
    I am not sure how to correct you there as vanilla mathematics says it would be 3.6M however in Industry it is said to be 2K.

Believe me, SAMSUNG Flagship product of 2014 will not be the first phone with 2560*1440; Vivo Xplay 3S was the first phone to feature a display with a 2560 x 1440 resolution
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Straight from Wiki -

2K resolution is a generic term for display devices or content having horizontal Display Resolution on the order of 2,000 pixels.2K Resolution Cite Note 1

In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives is the dominant 2K standard. In television, the top-end 1080P High Definition Television format qualifies as 2K resolution, having a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels, with a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels.

Also, the said Samsung device is named as "ultra-high resolution 2K HD display"

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lava has launched two new smartphones in its IRIS series today with Lava Iris 503 and Lava Iris 402 at the India Telecom 2013 event in New Delhi. Both smartphones...
Today, I read an article in ET, that people who wish to invest money in India through Cyprus route will be eligible for short term gains deductions. Also, if you...
Alright so this thread is dedicated to adding 1000 things one can do when one is getting bored at home or office or at park or even at a mall....
So, a lot of people I know want to do something of their own. Many people who hate their jobs want to quite and get a startup running. But the...
Quick Question: Do you think we should have one 'Engineering & Technology News' section like we have present or categorise news in various sections (like we used to do before)?...