router protection from lightning

Can using wireless router give common mode surege protection?
i have a wireless router and like to know ways to protect router if a lighting strikes in the surrounding area. If i'm using the router wireless then there is no path between the computer and the router, so is it correct to say the over current which causes the router to burn will not flow and the router will be protected ?

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    The question is damn good, i think router will be protected but not sure.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I didn't get the question. Can someone explain it a bit in more detail, please?
  • nilushka4
    nilushka4
    when a lightning strikes to a place near your home (area close by) a high voltage strikes the earth. this voltage is distributed through the earth, in the house the computer is grounded by the common earth electrode of house. but the telephone(router/modem) is grounded separately . because of this when a lighting strikes a voltage difference across the two electrodes which will result in a high current if the router is connected to the computer(which is earthed thorough the house earth) .this current will destroy the elecrtonics inside the modem but not the computer(maybe the lan port). My question is since the router does not have an earth connected to house earth, if by using wireless can this be avoided?

hope this is clear.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Surpised to see really no one supplied with an answer, not even guys from networking field.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I have a very good collection of youtube videos, which i would like to share with you. And i really feel that you should watch these videos atleast...
This is my Wireless Networks (or you can say Mobile Systems/Mobile Communications) Question Paper. I hope this will help some of our CEans. 1. Define the Infrastructure and Ad Hoc...
i need to submit a project on PHP in my institute. so i'v decided to make a web crawler. which can search any mp3 or audio files. but i don't...
Hi All, I have some issue with the OnDemand software installed in my machine. I am getting an issue with the OpenDoc functiobn which is used by the arsole.OCX file...
Please tell me anything about Guard circuit, Guard potential, since I am not understanding the idea of measurements of insulation resistance without knowing these terms mentioned??? What is absorption current??