Rise in fuel prices justified?

I recently came across this article actually a short paragraph

U.S. highway travel declined 1.4 percent in March from a year ago as gasoline prices rose, marking the first year-on-year decline in the number of miles driven in 13 months, the U.S. Transportation Department said on Friday.

The report provided some of the first government evidence that soaring prices at the pump have discouraged driving. The national gasoline price rose 21 cents a gallon during March and climbed until it reached nearly $4 this month.

Fuel prices are now falling nationwide, reflecting cheaper crude oil.

Highway travel for the first three months of this year was down 0.1 percent from the same period in 2010, the department said.
Traveling less good? It is better for environment right because it saves fuel? What is your take on it?reduces accidents.

But just due to this fact are in crease in fuel prices justified?

Let us start a technical debate on this topic. Share your opinion 😀

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kautilya
    Kautilya
    Fossil fuels are currently the fastest way to get energy.But the reserves of fossil fuels are limited. So globally there should be a reduction in the extraction of fossil fuels from nature. If there has been a curb on over extraction and that has caused limited supplies then increase in the cost is natural. What this will do is people will start using public transport.

But if there hasn't been a curb on extraction globally and there has been an asymmetric distribution of fuel,then perhaps cost increase isn't justified.

Of course this is a very simplistic picture that I have presented and an economist should be better disposed to give us valuable insights.

But it is my view that if people are forced to use buses(I am not talking of the type of Bus which takes one from Yavatmal to Chandrapur,but one which takes one from Mumbai to Pune) instead of buying SUVs it would be over all better for the human race.
  • scottaleger
    scottaleger
    neverRise in fuel prices is not justified

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In a recent survey, it was found that people prefer plud-in hybrids to the fully electrical vehicles. Survey reveals consumers prefer plug-in hybrids over EVs | The Car Tech blog...
More ways to improve computer memory. This is a latest technology to improve computer Nanotechnology Now - Press Release: "NIST 'Nanowire' Measurements Could Improve Computer Memory" Meanwhile, can we list...
YaY! CrazyEngineers came up with a one more good interview with one of our CE - Knights, He is CEan - Yadavundertaker who has contributed about 1,170+ valuable posts to...
Hello friend's Actually i want to know what is the instrument in mobile by which we can able to detect strength of signal(like i got 3 parallel lines on our...
We converted a diesel VW pickup at our company ( Entity Green ) to run on free waste vegetable oil from restaurant fryers. we get an exhilarating feeling of freedom...