Review Kindle Paperwhite

So, I got Kindle Paperwhite(2014 edition, WIFI version) few days ago for E-book reading. You might have question why any one would get a gadget just for reading at INR. 10k ($170). Where you can get a decent 5.5in phone for that price from Xiaomi/Micromax.
Answer is:
Try reading a book on any other screen without hurting your eyes.
Try carrying 100's of books so you can read any book of your choice any where.

So, does Kindle really can replace your novel. Let's find out.

What's in the box -
KindleUnboxed
Kindle Paperwhite and micro USB cable to connect to your laptop. I got in UK so I also got UK plug convertor.

Specification:
Screen: 6 inch
Pixel Density: 212 ppi
Color: black n white / grayscale screen
Sotware: Two free dictionary installed (Oxford and Cambridge), Social integration with Facebook, Goodread and twitter, Experimental browser, Vocabulary builder.

Supported files: .mobi, .pdf, .azw, .azw3, .txt, .doc, .rtf, .jpg, .html

Build Quality:
It total plastic and feels good in hand. You can use in one hand easily and turn page.

Experience -
Following image is Kindle in broad daylight on lowest brightness setting.
I read three books so far (Quote Link to post) in 10-12 days. More than two hours each day and I have to say it really feels like paper. Absolutely no stress on eyes. It does have backlit , moonlit screen but I like to read in night lamp light.
At 212 ppi, I don't feel pixelation and words are smooth at book level font height.
KindlePaperwhite
(This image is taken in broad daylight with zero brightness).

Things you can use it with Kindle: (Other than just reading)
- You just long press on any word and dictionary lookup will be ready for you. If you have internet you can search on wikipeadia. Also translation available with various languages.
-Highlight - Just press and drag - You can highlight text to make clipping and share on your kindle page (which you can link to Goodread, Facebook and twitter).
-Whatever word you lookup in dictionary, it will be added to your Vocabulary builder. All those words card, you can access via a preinstalled vocabulary builder app.

Here are few screenshots from Kindle

CE_onKindleWeb Flashcards HindiPdf
\ KindleHome MeaningAssist Translation

Limitation :
Hindi fonts are not supported properly.
PDF are not free flow. Zooming works great but line remain same
No copying of text. Would have been great to copy and paste in browser on Facebook or any other place. however you can highlight share on your kindle email account and access either on web or connect to USB and copy clipping.txt.

verdict:
Kindle paperwhite is really very close paper. This is probably one of best gadget I own, should have got earlier. I can read virtually any book. Moreover, pricing of E-books are usually lower than physical one.

Most asked question for Kindle: How do you transfer your book to Kindle?
  • Buy from Amazon, Kindle and all your device with kindle account will synced.
  • Connect to PC and transfer supported files to document folder in Kindle drive.
  • Email PDF to #-Link-Snipped-#. If you send to your kindle email with subject "convert" file will automatically converted to .azw format.
  • Open URL or your email account on experimental browser and download the files.

Have any question about Kindle. Shoot here😀

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Swedish company Truecaller which provides one of the most popular apps with the same name has now introduced a new app named Truemessenger. This app is a replacement app for...
I stopped using Myntra after it decided to shut down its website and direct users to download the mobile app. Now, if I'm already believing my eyes - the new...
I have graduated in B.E in 2015, i wish to take up IES Exams ..... so plz share your ideas/suggestions/Guidelines to crack the exam..... and help me in selecting the...
One has to watch out. Even the lowly pill is becoming smart and weave a (ww)web around non compliant or forgetful patients. https://www.medgadget.com/2015/07/pr...approved-to-measure-medication-adherence.html
Hi guys, Can anyone suggest me some good short course to do after ECE...Is UNIX course better??..Plz Help me in finding courses in Bangalore or Kerala. I also applied for...