Required help Desperatley!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I don't know whether this is an appropriate question to be posted on this website but I could think of no other site for this query. I hope you all will help me to clear this cobweb off my brain. Here it goes:-
I am doing Bachelor of Science from Lucknow University with mathematics and computer science as the subjects and I am in third year of my degree. I want to make my career in R&D sector. It doesn't matter for me whether it is in Mathematics or Computer Science. Now my query is as follows:-
Can I enter R&D industry even if I do an MCA? Will I be able to do research i.e. Ph.D. after this degree? As far as I read about various internships for computer science they either for B.Tech or M.Tech students only, am I eligible for these interships?
I know you'll be thinking that maths and comp. sci are quite different in terms of research fields but i like thinking about interdisciplinary stuff like using computer science to solve mathematics problems and using mathematics ( graph theory ) to understand computer science. I like reading about neural networks because they use lots of statistics and mathematics.
I would be highly grateful to you all if you could give me some guidance on this query

Note:- I am talking about industry in specific and not teaching jobs

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @moiaf_drdo: I think you can do Ph.D. after your MCA. It has got nothing to do with M.Tech specifically.

Different companies have different criteria when they offer internships. You wil have to do inquiry at the company's office regarding their requirements.
    I believe computer science and mathematics are closely related. R&D work in that field can have really cool outputs.

In industry, especially in the R&D sector, they would prefer knowledge over degree. You can portray your knowledge by publishing technical papers on your research work on national level competitions and by implementing them (though on small scale) through projects.

All the best with your decision.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Page Not Found
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • moiaf_drdo
    moiaf_drdo
    thank you for your reply. one more thing, what value does the various programming competitions add on to one's CV? Do they have to be international contests ( like topcode, ACM-ICPC ) or even Indian contests ( like those held during various college fests ) will be decent?

Thanks in advance
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    moiaf_drdo
    thank you for your reply. one more thing, what value does the various programming competitions add on to one's CV? Do they have to be international contests ( like topcode, ACM-ICPC ) or even Indian contests ( like those held during various college fests ) will be decent?

Thanks in advance
    Merely saying you 'participated' in a competition (national or international) won't do any good. But if you've an achievement to quote, then that would give you an edge.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Just wandering: What if we participated in International/national paper presentation? Don't know if I will ever get a chance. I have a topic in my hand and Ramani sir gave hints and helped me but I am still gropping in dark.

The same must be question of many people around here.

Citing moiaf_drdo's query and Biggie's answer I am thinking if we can have some standard conferences listed to help people. 😒

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gas Power Cycle-I explained in simple words. Lecture Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your...
This video lecture on Thermodynamics of Reacting System : Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute...
Thermodynamics of Multi Component System. Lecture Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your ideas in...
1.Google +, users can create their own +Circles, where they can share contents and posts to limited friends. The members in this group, for example colleagues, office staff, college mates...
hi guys. A very happy news was that ,on 15th july 2011, INDIA SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHED PSLV-C17/GSAT-12 satellite with 12 extended C-BAND TRANSPONDER from sriharikota, Bangalore. 👍 i'm very happy about...