Remains of Vijayanagara Empire at Hampi and Anegondhi

We went on a much delayed visit to Hampi in Karnataka. In its heydey Hampi was arguably the richest and largest city in the world rivalling Rome. Now a declared world heritage site, there are some very creative engineering that had been practiced there.
Huge aqueducts transported water to distant locations. Intricate system of canals with ingenious diverting arrangements for regulating flow to different locations ensured water went where wanted. Bathing places had a sort of shower (I should say, more of a waterfall). Multistory women's housing had a very practical airconditioning with evaporative cooling of water (lifted from a well) distributed to all floors.
Huge monoliths, musical pillars (Hollow granite pillars), gigantic temple structures and even a pin hole camera abound.
Carvings show a thriving international trade with traders from all over the world.
The two links below give a glimpse of the place:

1. Anegondhi predates the Vijayanagara Empire. It has some ancient cave paintings also.
Dropbox - Anegondhi 3.docx - Simplify your life
2. The Hampi Site is a declared UNESCO World Heritage place. Many activities are banned in certain areas. It is a shame that a cable suspension bridge across Tungabadra put up with modern engineering principles collapsed while a huge aqueduct put up in the old days still stands nearby.
Dropbox - Hampiruins blog.docx - Simplify your life

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Discovering Past !!​ Many time in life we are trying to figure out our past .Did I take right decision ? Was my life better in past than now ?...
Quote: Panasonic has developed a wearable robot designed to help warehouse and construction workers lift heavy objects; the Japanese giant aims to bring the robot to market by September, reports...
Quote: We’ve engineered our computer monitors to display over 1 million colors so we can view the same colors we see out our windows. Put your computer screen to good...
Hi Every1! i know its seems some silly discussion but i am really worried about my career after engineering.. I am a final year computer engineering student.. the year just...
anyone can give their doubts...and we will discuss it out. mine:- Rank - 617 Couse want to do - dac QUESTION-- centre prefrence order? i am thinking to go for...