Rack Pinion designing

I'm designing a steering wheel mechanism on solid works. But once assembled, two teeth of the pinion on both side of the tooth and groove which are in contact are entering into the teeth of the rack, thus making it a single part all together. Though I've understood that it is happening because of the wrong angle of the teeth on the rack, I'm unable to solve this problem efficiently.

I've set 30 teeth on the pinion (which I placed on the sides of a polygon with 30 sides). I took the measurement of the side of the polygon (i.e base of the teeth again) and made a linear pattern of teeth on the rack with the same distance as base. But now I understand that I overlooked the angle of teeth on the rack...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Replies

• Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    Please Help
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

What can be done, dude
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If you mated the two parts properly and the teeth are identical then it should work fine. Is your problem the design of the rack teeth on Solid Works?
  • mechky
    mechky
    Mohit Kamat
    But once assembled, two teeth of the pinion on both side of the tooth and groove which are in contact are entering into the teeth of the rack, thus making it a single part all together.
    I'm not able to understand your problem clearly. It would be best if you can post some screenshot or video of the simulation.
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    actually the problem is i haven't created a profile for the teeth(triangular)...this is what i studied...had no idea about this profile thing...was trying to mesh the gears only by dimensions and angles...and so wanted to know how to do it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai... I am an electronics and communication students...plzz any one help me to get some innovative project ideas on lab view.....want to submit within two days....plsss...
For what voltage will the reverse current in a p-n junction Ge diode attain a value of 90 per cent of its saturation value at room temperature? What will be...
Is there any tool which can convert usecase into sequence diagram
please do respond to the question below as soon as possible...
I heard that new fi glamour bike dont have the carburettor.Is it correct?