Question from a Prospective Engineering Student

I am very interested in a career in Electrical Engineering. The problem is funds are tight and I would like to avoid student loans as much as possible. I have 1 year left of VA tuition reimbursement. I was considering doing an Electrical Engineering Technology program (2-year) and saving up after finding employment to complete a Bachelor's of EE. I am just looking to find out if through school or experience there is a way to transition from technician to engineer. Would it be likely that with an Associate's, I would have to start from scratch for a B.S.? Thank you in advance for any insight. I thought this would be the most informative and reliable resource for my quorum.

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I really hope someone is able to help you out here. You have articulated your quorum pretty well. Personally, I think you should pursue BE straight up through student loan. Because think about it, after VA, you are going for 2 years of EET prog, after which you will work for sometime. By the time you start working you will never get back to studies, it would be extremely difficult to start again! So better go for Engineering straight up and be an engineer and look for a job.

The other alternative could be EET and getting a job and bing good at it and then moving within the company or starting your own. Growth in India sadly still depends on a "Degree"...even if the person is well educated otherwise and intelligent.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Brianna67,

Thank you for sharing and seeking advice here on CE! What field has your prior studies been in? Do you know where you might attend to obtain the Associate's and Bachelor's degrees? (this will influence the possibilty of credit transfer). Since you mention VA reimbursement, I am guessing you are here in the US. If you do some research and make good choices, a two year program easily can apply towards a bachelor's as long as both institutions are accredited by the same recognized authorities & the credit hours/subjects meet requirements for the bachelor program. Also, staying with public institutions and not private or for-profit schools will assist in increasing the success rate of transfer. Note that no matter what, there is bound to be a few credit hours that will not be accepted so you may need to retake a class or two. Work experience can be used in rare cases to apply however I would not focus on that, rather think of working as a direct application to the practice and theory you are studying. As to whether you work for a time before or during bachelor studies instead of directly going into a BE program, only you can decide that as there are pros and cons to both methods. If your prior scholastic experience has not been in engineering or electrical areas then starting off by taking some classes or the Associate program and a part time job in the field might be a good way to confirm this is the career path for you which would then help focus your efforts towards a bachelor program. I hope this helps in some way. Let me know your thoughts and answers and I can offer additional advice if you like.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

3dB

can anyone tell as to why the bandwidth is always calculated as 3dB bandwidth(half power) and not any other number.?
Most of the news sites offer only a headline and a short excerpt in their RSS feeds. Therefore, you therefore have to leave your Google Reader to read the full...
Now search engines, Google and Bing will help you find wi fi hotspots wherever you go. Just type the name of your city. For eg: Wireless Hotspots in Mumbai Wireless...
I'm quite surprised that Mr. Suresh Kalmadi hasn't had heart related problems soon after his arrest, as normally every criminal has. The Indian government is now under pressure from all...
Gordon - the supercomputer has 250 trillion bytes of flash memory and can store loads of data. The purpose of using flash drive is to make the data 100 times...