3dB

can anyone tell as to why the bandwidth is always calculated as 3dB bandwidth(half power) and not any other number.?

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    -3dB is the half power point. How is it half. Excellent question! I had to look it up but here is the best explanation:

We get to the -3dB point when the voltage drops by 1/sqroot(2) and the power drops to -3dB.

Why half? Well, it's just the standard, you can define by -1.5dB too, but 1/sqroot(2) is a better number to stick to.

I still am not clear myself. If I get more information I will post it.
  • tusharatdce
    tusharatdce
    thanks. Actually my question was this only as why is this standard half power only..?
    why not three fourth or 90% or more or even less than half..?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Yea, I could not get a clear answer to that, someone asked the same q in another forum. One guy replied: "Why not half-power?" 😀
  • tusharatdce
    tusharatdce
    😀
    do tell us if you find the answer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of the news sites offer only a headline and a short excerpt in their RSS feeds. Therefore, you therefore have to leave your Google Reader to read the full...
Now search engines, Google and Bing will help you find wi fi hotspots wherever you go. Just type the name of your city. For eg: Wireless Hotspots in Mumbai Wireless...
I'm quite surprised that Mr. Suresh Kalmadi hasn't had heart related problems soon after his arrest, as normally every criminal has. The Indian government is now under pressure from all...
Gordon - the supercomputer has 250 trillion bytes of flash memory and can store loads of data. The purpose of using flash drive is to make the data 100 times...
There's a trend among Indian engineers to opt for an IT (Software) job, not matter to which engineering discipline you graduated in. Well, I admit that I too was one...