Question about measuring power dissipation

Hello guys. First time posting.

I am using a single pole double throw switch IC for switching applications (part number ADG436) for battery powered applications. I am trying to measure the power dissipation for this device, and did it by simply just connecting the power supply to the VDD and GND and using an ammeter to measure the current on it. However, no values came up on the ammmeter. Isn't this the way to go in measuring power dissipation?

Or since this is a switch IC, should I be measuring the source and drain terminals instead?
Also, do you guys think power dissipation of the chip itself will change if I use a virtual ground setup to set up a +/- voltage rail using a single supply for this chip?

Thanks for all your help.
Feel free to leave comments and/or suggestions!

Replies

• d_vipul
    d_vipul
    hey dingop,

nice try..........
    but tell me which range meters are you using??????
    means mV and nA?????

actually the power dissipation of the IC's is in few pW........

So if you don't have that range meters then connect 50 or 60 IC's in series then do the practical...............
    I know this is a hectic method but if do not have the purposed meters you cant perform the practical.............

Practically the IC's have low power consumption thats why they are used in appliances.........
    Due to their low values the power dissipation is supposed to be zero............

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • dingop
    dingop
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I will get a little bit more specific here then.
    I am actually trying to measure the power dissipation from my entire circuit, starting from my ic chip. In order to simulate a rapidly charging and discharging battery, I am connecting a capacitor through the power terminals of the ic and charging up the capacitor to a battery, and measuring the voltage vs time as it discharges.

First, I am going through just the capacitor and discharging it,
    then i put down the IC and connect the capacitor between the vdd and gnd terminals and repeat the same thing.
    Then I put my VGND resistor network setup and repeat.

I keep on going down and record the voltage vs time curves, and then used the voltage relationship of

V(t)=Voe^-t/RC to solve for the equivalent resistance, then
    used the relationship v^2/Req to solve for the power.

One thing I noticed was that power dissipation for the chip using this method was about 140uW when I used the Vo value for the power calculation instead of V(t)(using V(t) gives 30uW!).

this is still quite high, esp compared to what you told me in the range of pW.
    Any advice?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear Team, I saw your forum, its great. I am looking for a way to measure the welding current in a Spot Welding machine. Its max current can go upto...
Microsoft Excel has evolved from "Multiplan" to "Excel" over 25 years. The first spreadsheet program was created by Microsoft to be run on DOS and other operating systems. However as...
Whats your favourite antivirus software,discuss about its advantages and disadvantages. Why do you prefer it?
there are two room, in the first room there are 13 machines and in other room their are 13 switches for those machine (in any order). Two room are completely...
hi friends can anyone tell me how can we write a code to scan chest or eye in JAVA...😎