Quantified Self - Fantasy or Future Fast Forward?

An interesting introduction to digital personal monitoring by Gary Wolf at his talk at TED@Cannes.
Apps, mobile monitors and much else beside monitor every aspect of a person's daily life to make a connect with the inner (?) you.

The ancient Indians just meditated for self realization.

Is this a passing Fad, a sort of intellectual 'Fair & Lovely' thing or does it have a hard core value?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I sometimes worry about mans growing dependence on technology and electronics. This clearly is driven by the corporations that produce these; but I'm not very sure whether it's something we should call 'progress'? We basically call every discovery as 'progress'. I wonder whether invention of atomic bombs was a 'progress' for the humans.

One thing I know is that these devices are going to be a part of our lives no matter what. 20 years ago; people lived fine without having mobile phones. Now none of us can imagine life without mobile phones. We want to be connected to the world no matter where we are.

Is this a passing fad? We can't say for sure. I however believe that electronics is here to stay for decades to come.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What is wrong with having specific data?
    You say - I worked really hard today.
    Or - I worked for 17 hours a day. - I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but it can help if you are tracking such data and measure progress.
    There is nothing wrong with this, its actually a reinforcement in health systems and check-ups, and keeps people more aware of whats going on inside them and how they should change small details/habits in their lifestyles to improve their overall well-being.

😲 What do you guys think?
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    I sometimes worry about mans growing dependence on technology and electronics. This clearly is driven by the corporations that produce these; but I'm not very sure whether it's something we should call 'progress'? We basically call every discovery as 'progress'. I wonder whether invention of atomic bombs was a 'progress' for the humans.

One thing I know is that these devices are going to be a part of our lives no matter what. 20 years ago; people lived fine without having mobile phones. Now none of us can imagine life without mobile phones. We want to be connected to the world no matter where we are.

Is this a passing fad? We can't say for sure. I however believe that electronics is here to stay for decades to come.

VISHWAKARMANS/MAYANS would always be there

and there work would never go.

problem is that in present times, india is not producing ENIGNEERS

to make india emerging as an industrial powerhouse.

What we do is work as labor in AMERICAN/EUROPEAN factories.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want key genertor for this . please help me out
We started to get addicted to western culture, It starts from our dress,food etc.. There is also a thought among many of them, western culture, portraits them as modern people....
hiii friends.......i want the.clear idea.and.differences between the capacitance,inductance,reluctance. and also the difference between the resistor and diode... and.what will happen if we replace the diode with resistor
Generally, people can be easily classified, talkative or silent. But the silent people are always treated like ' dangerous'. And not to believe them. Why it is so? Being silent,...
hello...i m new member at CE...so dnt know norms of this site..however i just need some help..regarding...thermoelectricity...is it better generating energy with TE modules or with solar cells.....and is thr...