QTP or Selenium. Good tool for automation

I have been working in a small company as a manual tester. I want to be an automated engineer so want to learn automation testing. I don't know have much idea about the tools that are used in good companies. Please help me guys. What should i learn?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    QTP was earlier known as WinRunner; and it's a tool that's been around for several years. Selenium, on the other hand is newer and is finding rapid adoption in testing domain. If I'm not mistaken, Selenium, though very powerful, is limited to testing of browser based applications.

QTP on the other hand is mostly suitable for the desktop based applications. If I were to choose between the two; I'd probably pick Selenium because the world's already onto all things 'web'.

But that said, a mix of both the tools would be a killer combination for an aspiring engineer. Selenium is very easy to master if you've used any automation tool before.

I'd recommend learning both the tools; but first check with your company which tool they're using so that you can quickly apply your knowledge to the real world projects. Selenium is free for download while QTP licenses costs a LOT!

#-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# might be able to guide you properly on this.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If I'm not mistaken, Selenium, though very powerful, is limited to testing of browser based applications.
    +1
    Selenium is open source and free . Current version 2.0 with web driver is very good and easy to implement and truly customizable and multiple browser support but one need to know java stuffs.
    While QTP inbuilt recorder is good one , at least currently better than selenium one.QTP only works on windows
    Selenium Vs QTP

I am new to selenium and going to do project to implement selenium for TDD .
    If anyone here a selenium master, please help me to gear-up with WebDriver.

#-Link-Snipped-# : If you are going with selenium please let me know, we can help each other. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Selenium is an excellent tool for webbased testing. If you are testing anything other technology windows, delphi , etc etc still the best available is QTP.

If you have any questions in learning either of the tools let us know in this thread. I will help you.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Don't have any idea. One of my friends is learning QTP from a coaching institute. He was suggesting me for the same. He said that QTP works for both web & windows but selenium works for web applications only. He said that good/top companies prefer QTP because of its good features.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now everyone is moving towards selenium for web applications. I doubt there is a good training for selenium. QTP learn basics in any institute and practice.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    ianoop
    +1
    Selenium is open source and free . Current version 2.0 with web driver is very good and easy to implement and truly customizable and multiple browser support but one need to know java stuffs.
    While QTP inbuilt recorder is good one , at least currently better than selenium one.QTP only works on windows
    Selenium Vs QTP

I am new to selenium and going to do project to implement selenium for TDD .
    If anyone here a selenium master, please help me to gear-up with WebDriver.

#-Link-Snipped-# : If you are going with selenium please let me know, we can help each other. ๐Ÿ˜€
    How will you start with it? Are you going to learn it by yourself or by coaching?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    By myself.. I have started from selenium forums...
    Author of this blog is also a part of selenium team
    No Automated Testing
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You can learn Selenium and QTP without any coaching.

For QTP - Get your basics ready with VBScript.
    Email me if you really are interested in learning, I have a step by step learning PPT which I usually present to my batches while training at office.
    Or else, you can also get lot of things online. (The PPT I made is bits and pieces from several sources and something added by myself)
    Record some script
    Analyse how it is recorded.
    Use your logic to customize it.

You are done.

Then start learning features of QTP. Before learning any features you have to understand how QTP works so the first exercise will make you understand some part of it.

For Selenium:

You can follow the same procedure, but I dont have a exhaustive presentation as I am learning the tool now. I can help you with it for any questions.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    English-Scared

Email me if you really are interested in learning, I have a step by step learning PPT which I usually present to my batches while training at office.
    Or else, you can also get lot of things online. (The PPT I made is bits and pieces from several sources and something added by myself)
    Record some script

You are done.

Then start learning features of QTP. Before learning any features you have to understand how QTP works so the first exercise will make you understand some part of it.

For Selenium:

You can follow the same procedure, but I dont have a exhaustive presentation as I am learning the tool now. I can help you with it for any questions.
    Thank You. I have dropped an email.

By myself.. I have started from selenium forums...
    Author of this blog is also a part of selenium team
    No Automated Testing
    Nice link. I have started downloading all videos from the office. I'll check them & try to learn selenium at home.
    Thanks. How did you find those videos? Are they good to learn?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    from random search but this guy is a part of selenium dev team. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    ianoop
    from random search but this guy is a part of selenium dev team. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Great. I'll try them ๐Ÿ˜€
    Have you started learning selenium with the help of those videos?

Thanks
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great!! I have checked the website its a wonderful site for learning selenium.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I will tell you one very basic difference and then you can make a choice yourself which toll you are going to select

QTP is highly regarded as functional testing tool for web based applictions, and now is spreading its wing in other areas. Less coding skill (VBS) and more tool knowledge and basic automation concepts are required for QTP. QTP has a better market value then any other automation tool

On the other hand, lately selenium is also becoming very popular. Good coding skill is required, so a person with moderate to good coding skill and less tool knowledge has also good future. Market value is still relatively lesser then QTP

So, you need to evaluate yourself how good you are in coding skills?

-CB
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    Have you worked with Selenium IDE?
    I am facing trouble with recording events my project otherwise IDE working fine on either localhost or www.

Edit:
    Also, when I am coding manually and running from eclipse its working but firefox IDE not recording anything.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I tried recording , it recorded well. I havent faced any issue while recording.

If you are using old IDE then make sure that the language is set to default while recording.
  • Madhu Achanti
    Madhu Achanti
    Hi - could you please share QTP material to me. THanks!

regards,
    Madhu
    English-Scared

Record some script

You are done.

For Selenium:

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Checking in CE- Resource Section, I found :
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    *pushkar*
    I have been working in a small company as a manual tester. I want to be an automated engineer so want to learn automation testing. I don't know have much idea about the tools that are used in good companies. Please help me guys. What should i learn?
    Apologies I am replying very late for this thread,

Apple of orange which fruit is better?
    Audi or BMW which car is better?

so these are the questions no one would like to answer till you specify your requirements. QTP is established player (very costly as well, with good support) in the software automation market as functional automation tool. So if cost is not a constraint, QTP is one of the strong contender for functional automation.

Also Selenium is free so its good to consider when cost is constraint.

-CB
  • shiva arvapalli
    shiva arvapalli
    English-Scared
    Selenium is an excellent tool for webbased testing. If you are testing anything other technology windows, delphi , etc etc still the best available is QTP.

If you have any questions in learning either of the tools let us know in this thread. I will help you.
    English-Scared
    I tried recording , it recorded well. I havent faced any issue while recording.

If you are using old IDE then make sure that the language is set to default while recording.
    can you please share ppts and videos for QTP AND SELINIUM
    < Mod Edit : Email-ID Removed >
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    You can find some QTP material at #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Subhojit Choudhury
    Subhojit Choudhury
    Hi Saandeep,

will u please provide your email address? I have some queries regarding QTP and Selenium.

Thanks,
    Subhojit
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Please post your question in Computer science section, I am most regular here so you will have no delay... I check CE regularly than my email!
  • Subhojit Choudhury
    Subhojit Choudhury
    Hi Saandeep,

I want to QTP and Selenium. I already have some basic knowledge in QTP but haven't yet done any VB scripting. And I am new to selenium.

Thanks a lot
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have understood that you want to learn QTP from your post above.

Please go to the resources section link given by Anil Jain in the above post and download the pdf's.

Download the trial version of QTP software and explore it.

and post your learning and questions here.
  • Subhojit Choudhury
    Subhojit Choudhury
    Thanks Saandeep and Anil.. I will do that definitely..
  • sgsai
    sgsai
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great!! I have checked the website its a wonderful site for learning selenium.
    Hi please send me the exhaustive QTP presentation, i would like to have it
    guess you can get my email id as your moderator
  • Muzammil3
    Muzammil3
    Hi Saandeep or anyone,Can u please email me Good Selenium and QTP ppts.
    Contact no. 9713202947,#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Muzammil3
    Muzammil3
    Hi - could you please share Selenium and QTP material and ppts to me. THanks!
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mathuraiveeran
    Mathuraiveeran
    hi Saandeep Sreerambatla,
    can u send me the ppt which was prepared by u for QTP..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Add it to downloads section ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mathuraiveeran
    Mathuraiveeran
    Hi..

thanks for immediate reply.. let me know the name of the doc..pls
  • Kiranr505
    Kiranr505
    Hi Sandeep,
    I am a manual test engineer, I am interested in learning QTP. Kindly share QTP ppt with me.
  • Kiranr505
    Kiranr505
    Hi Sandeep,
    I am a manual test engineer, I am interested in learning QTP. Kindly share QTP ppt with me.
    Email id - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kiranr505
    Hi Sandeep,
    Email id - #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Don't forget to tell your colleagues, spouse, friends that CrazyEngineers.com provided it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jagan018
    Jagan018
    @ #-Link-Snipped-#, could you please share step by step learning PPT on QTP and SELENIUM? it'll be a great help as I want to switch from Manual to Automation..

Please share to my email i.e #-Link-Snipped-#.

Thanks in advance, with hopes..
  • Mayank Sapra
    Mayank Sapra
    Hi ,Can you please share(mayanksapra@outlook.com) the material for self learning QTP and selenium ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Note to all the new users of CrazyEngineers: Do not expect members to email you any information or send documents / presentations. Everything will be shared here or through the downloads section. It helps us reach out to wider audience and help more people.
  • Shreena Verma
    Shreena Verma
    Kaustubh Katdare
    QTP was earlier known as WinRunner; and it's a tool that's been around for several years. Selenium, on the other hand is newer and is finding rapid adoption in testing domain. If I'm not mistaken, Selenium, though very powerful, is limited to testing of browser based applications.

QTP on the other hand is mostly suitable for the desktop based applications. If I were to choose between the two; I'd probably pick Selenium because the world's already onto all things 'web'.

But that said, a mix of both the tools would be a killer combination for an aspiring engineer. Selenium is very easy to master if you've used any automation tool before.

I'd recommend learning both the tools; but first check with your company which tool they're using so that you can quickly apply your knowledge to the real world projects. Selenium is free for download while QTP licenses costs a LOT!

#-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# might be able to guide you properly on this.
    Yes ,that's right...But now a days many clients are switching from QTP to selenium...So combination of both will do a great job.I don't know about QTP but as a developer I have learnt Selenium for addition and to debug my code in extra time. Its very easy to grasp the things.
  • Mayank Sapra
    Mayank Sapra
    Can you please share the download link of selenium tutorials as I am unable to find them on CE.com ?
  • Madhav Reddy Challa
    Madhav Reddy Challa
    Hi Sandeep
    I have Started learning QTP
    can you please share ppts and videos for QTP

Thanks& Regards
    Madhav(Madhavchalla4@gmail.com)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Here are some useful links for Selenium tutorials:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Selenium Tutorials For Beginners
    Selenium - Installation Procedure
  • shiva kumar A
    shiva kumar A
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now everyone is moving towards selenium for web applications. I doubt there is a good training for selenium. QTP learn basics in any institute and practice.
    can u please share me the QTP material .i am interested in learning

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers have found out that turning off your mobile phone can lead to some greater happiness in your life. This 'staying connected' thing is directly turning into unhappiness in people's...
similarly if a transformer is given DC what will happen?
So what are blueprints ? and how do they differ from an engineering drawing ? are these things the same thing, with the exception that the former is printed on...
Auto rickshaws have one wheel in the front and two in the rear. now here is a crazy idea : how about a car with two wheels in the front...
E&TC or communications students looking for latest seminar topic may pick up '4K broadcasting technology'. The topic is quite latest - and is very interesting. Japan will soon become the...