puzzle..

Next door to me live four brothers of different heights. Their average height is 74 inches, and the difference-in height amongst the first three men is two inches. The difference between the third and fourth is six inches. Can you tell how tall is each brother?

PS: Post detailed solution

Replies

• sookie
    sookie
    Given :
    C1(Condition 1): difference-in height amongst the first three men is two inches
    C2(Condition 2): difference between the third and fourth is six inches
    Average height= 74

Solution:
    Let first man's height= x
    Second man's height= x+2 (as per C1)
    Third man's height= (x+2)+2= x+4 (as per C1)
    Fourth man's height= (x+4)+ 6 = x+10(as per C2)

Average = (First man's height+ Second man's height+ Third man's height+ Fourth man's height)/Total no of men

Average = (x+(x+2)+(x+4)+(x+10))/4 = 74
    Solving it we get x=70
    so now
    First man's height= 70
    Second man's height= x+2 = 70+2=72
    Third man's height= x+4 = 70+4= 74
    Fourth man's height= x+10 = 70+10=80

Was this so simple or still any other thing for puzzling us is there 😔 ..Please tell
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    lets the height of third person is=x
    therefore the height of the forth person will be=x-6
    from the first condition
    the second person will be=x+2
    the first person will be=x+4
    given average height=74
    hence total height will be =74 x4=296
    which will be equal to
    (x+4)+(x+2)+(x)+(x-6)=296
    4x=296
    x=74
    therefore answers are
    first=78
    second=76
    third=74
    fourth=68

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can Any one give me an idea about to run an engine using the electomagnet..
Scrybe Learn - Scrybe Use - Scrybe Scrybe takes gestures to the next level with gesture workflows. Scrybe gesture workflows enhance how you work and play. A gesture workflow does...
hello,, i need a 7 segment display that can be triggered by a 556 timer timer A - UP COUNT timer b - down count i have surveyed the the...
hope these would be useful Video lectires on Kinematics of Machines Video lectires on Kinematics of Machines - Mechanical Engineering Forum Video lectures on Robotics Video lectures on Robotics -...
I am working on the Modelling and Simulation of a Brushless DC Motor using LabView Software, I don't have direct access to the software, so working on the model is...