protecting a folder using dos?

hello friends,
could any one of you tell me how to protect a folder/file using DOS ?

😁Thanks in advance for you answers.😁

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vishalhak
    hello friends,
    could any one of you tell me how to protect a folder/file using DOS ?

😁Thanks in advance for you answers.😁
    Any specific reasons for which you want to protect folders using DOS? I recommend using Folder Lock utility.

-The Big K-
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    not any big reason, i am collecting information on hidden features of dos
    😁
  • crook
    crook
    I don't know if there is a facility to password-protect folders using DOS. You can use ATTRIB command to hide the folder!

ATTRIB [d:][path]filename [/S]
    ATTRIB [+ R|-R] [+A|-A] [+ H|-H] [+ S|-S] [d:][path]filename [/S]
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    Thanks for the information, but i needed something else.
  • psd_8989
    psd_8989
    the following method works for windows98

with helpp of following method u can create folder that can not be accesed
    from explorer , not even deletd .
    folder that cannot be accessed from the Windows Explorer: Open MS-DOS prompt,
    type mkdir followed by a space, then hold ALT key and type 251. Then release
    ALT. Now you can save there anything you want to hide. Windows Explorer cannot
    display the content of this folder. You can use these numbers instead of 251:
    158, 159, 169, 176 to 224, 226 to 229, 231 to 240, 242 to 245, 247, 249, 252,
    254 and 255.
    For me, only 176, 249, 251 and 254 worked. To access this folder from windows,
    just rename it into a normal name. To do so, open MS-DOS, enter the directory,
    where your folder is placed and type ren followed by a space, then hold alt and
    type the number, that you used when you created your folder. Press space again
    and then type the new name of your folder. Press enter.

Pls submit such a trick for XP if any one found

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all ,, my name is maysaa , 4th year , comm. eng. , my FYP is about GSM and i need an idea about a good project about GSM...
helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I bet OTIS has developed a solution to the following common problem faced in many parts of India due to power failures - During power failures, which is a very...
hello friends, here's another question. is there any method of revealing the contents of SAM file in windows XP. 😁thanks for all your suggestions in advance.😎
CEans, Yahoo messenger fans can try out the beta version of Yahoo Messenger. Take a look at this site - https://beta.messenger.yahoo.com/ 😁 Enjoy! -The Big K-