Which Programming Language Was Call of Duty Developed With?

Which Programming Language Was Call of Duty Developed With?

The Call of Duty game series has been developed using C++, C## and Lua programming languages.

Different games in the series may have been built using different languages or a combination of languages depending on the development team and the specific requirements of each game.

In general, game development involves the use of multiple programming languages to handle different aspects of the game.

Here's an overview of how programming languages are commonly used in game development:

1. C++: This is one of the most prevalent languages in game development. It is used for the core engine and low-level systems programming. C++ offers high performance and direct hardware access, making it well-suited for tasks like rendering graphics, physics simulations, and networking.

2. C#: This language is commonly used in game development with engines like Unity, which is widely used for indie game development. C# provides a managed code environment and is used for scripting game logic, AI behavior, and user interface development.

3. Lua: Lua is a lightweight scripting language often used as an embedded language within game engines. It allows for rapid prototyping and easy modification of game logic and behavior at runtime.

4. Python: While not as commonly used for game development as C++ or C#, Python is sometimes employed for certain game-related tasks such as scripting, data processing, or tool development. It provides a concise syntax and extensive libraries that can aid in these areas.

5. Shader Languages: Graphics programming in games often involves writing shaders, which are programs that run on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). Shaders are typically written in specialized languages like OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL) or High-Level Shading Language (HLSL), depending on the target platform.

6. Other Languages: Depending on the requirements and platforms, game development may involve other languages like Java, JavaScript, or even assembly language for specific optimizations.

It's worth noting that game development is a collaborative effort, and different programmers may use different languages within the same project, depending on their area of expertise and the requirements of their tasks.

The choice of programming language(s) depends on factors such as performance needs, development platform, engine/framework used, and the preferences of the development team.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Suhel143
    Basically which programming language is used for Call of Duty??
    Infinity Ward, the creators of the game have used IW Engine to develop the game. The engine itself seems to be coded in C and C++ programming languages. If my brain is serving me right; I think C++ is one of the most popular programming languages used by game engine developers. For example, the Unreal Engine relied on a scripting language developed by their engineers called UnrealScript; which at its core was based on C++.
  • Suhel Inamdar
    Suhel Inamdar
    Any book for game development.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you really want to learn Game Development, you should focus on building your C++ programming skills. You can refer to any book. By the way, you need to be clear about what you really want to do: Develop the Game Development Engine or design the game itself?

Those two things can be miles apart; so be clear about what you want to do.

Assuming that you want to get into 'game' development; I'd strongly recommend that you should download the UNREAL ENGINE and start reading all the tutorials, videos available on their official 'LEARN' page: #-Link-Snipped-# . The best part? It's all completely free.
  • Suhel Inamdar
    Suhel Inamdar
    thnx and for game design???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Suhel143
    thnx and for game design???
    Not sure what you are saying. Unreal Engine will let you do everything. Download it, watch videos and you will get a hang of it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    For a game development, you'll require knowledge much more than just C++ skills. You must be good in geometry branches, trigonometry, DSP, FSM, etc.
    I am not a game developer, but before my interest level and curiosity to learn Linux Kernel surpassed the interest of game development, I used to read a lot regarding game development.

Games like Call Of Duty, Skyrim, Borderlands,etc. is developed by dozens of dedicated professional devs who work on single project like this for a year or so. When I am adding 'dedicated professionals', it certainly means the uber awesome devs who have 7+ years of experience in game development.

I don't wanna discourage you but I would like to suggest that 'don't rush'. Start with 2D games since it has lesser complexity and math involved compared to 3D. I would suggest you not to use DirectX, better use OpenGL. It will be easier to port games to other platforms. Plus, #-Link-Snipped-# is going to change face of gaming industry, believe it or not.
    Also read Valve: OpenGL is faster than DirectX — even on Windows | ExtremeTechand Valve: DirectX 12 does not make a lot of sense, Vulkan does | KitGuru. If you don't know what the fuck 'Valve' is, you need to stay alot more updated, read more and join some good gaming forums.
    Further more, Gamedev.net is one nice website I have ever been. You'll learn a lot from there.
  • Suhel Inamdar
    Suhel Inamdar
    #-Link-Snipped-#plz help me.. what is the differnce between UNITY and Unreal Engine.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can you picture a solid pyramid consisting of a square base and four equilateral triangles, alongside a solid tetrahedron with four faces identical to those of the pyramid's triangles? Now...
Mobile 10X is the latest initiative by the Internet And Mobile Association Of India (IAMAI); that aims to make India a global superpower in mobile app development. The main aim...
The mid-range smartphone market in India has got a worthy addition in form of the Intex Aqua Ace. The Intex Aqua Ace offers all the things you want from a...
As companies across the world become more and more interested in connecting their employees with cloud-based collaboration technologies, India isn't lagging behind and has recently launched 3 data centres in...
Since its establishment back in 1962, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has come a long way to establish itself as a world leader in space exploration. With all its...