Preparing for Aptitude Tests-

I think we could have questions from aptitude tests. This will be especially helpful to those preparing for campus interviews.

So I encourage CEans to share questions, tips/ tricks from aptitude tests. We would solve the problems together ๐Ÿ˜€ .

What say?

-The Big K-

Replies

• aashima
    aashima
    very right

The_Big_K
    I think we could have questions from aptitude tests. This will be especially helpful to those preparing for campus interviews.

So I encourage CEans to share questions, tips/ tricks from aptitude tests. We would solve the problems together ๐Ÿ˜€ .

What say?

-The Big K-
    i agree... that cud actually help ppl get acquainted with the aptitude questions and the triicks to solve them...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K

-The Big K-
    And also who are preparing for the CAT

Bad and good news ...CAT'06 on no 19th is of 2:30 hours...

--Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good!

That is also good. Crazyboy, if you have questions or tips for those preparing for CAT / GRE , do share them on the forum. I'm sure there are many who are willing to help.

Drop in your ideas about how to do this & what else do we need to make this happen.

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima
    well...

The_Big_K
    That is also good. Crazyboy, if you have questions or tips for those preparing for CAT / GRE , do share them on the forum. I'm sure there are many who are willing to help.

Drop in your ideas about how to do this & what else do we need to make this happen.

-The Big K-
    well being myself a novice in this subject... i can only help dropping in some aptitude questions and providing with the solutions thereafter...
    we can have questions on different topics like:
    1. tricky maths series
    2. symbols matching
    3. riddles
    4. odd ones out

and many many more.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yep!

...except for the symbols matching. Right now, images have to be linked from some other website.

Questions from aptitude tests and related discussions are always welcome. It will take us some time to get started, but we will do it anyways.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    thats gud!!!

I m ready with any possible help.
  • aashima
    aashima
    well...

neha
    thats gud!!!

I m ready with any possible help.
    well now the question rises how to get started in an efficient and regulated manner??? do u have any ideas abt it neha?
  • Neha
    Neha
    First thing that has to be considered is matter...so I think we can have a CE-team for efficient matter...and the solutions will be given following different techniques possible...it will help us to find some new techniques for solving.

Secondly,simple questions can be cracked by anyone..so more emphasis has to be laid on tricky ones.

Thirdly,we can write down the questions we are facing problem with...This will help in two ways: solving our problem and exploring new techniques.

Lastly and most importantly, TIME management is very important..like its easy to find square root of any no. but the thing is how can one find the same in a matter of few seconds.

These few things I guess can make aptitude no more a monster for us...watsay CE-ans???
  • aashima
    aashima
    yup

neha
    First thing that has to be considered is matter...so I think we can have a CE-team for efficient matter...and the solutions will be given following different techniques possible...it will help us to find some new techniques for solving.

Secondly,simple questions can be cracked by anyone..so more emphasis has to be laid on tricky ones.

Thirdly,we can write down the questions we are facing problem with...This will help in two ways: solving our problem and exploring new techniques.

Lastly and most importantly, TIME management is very important..like its easy to find square root of any no. but the thing is how can one find the same in a matter of few seconds.

These few things I guess can make aptitude no more a monster for us...watsay CE-ans???

agreed.. time management is perhaphs the most important point to be considered.. there can be numerous ways to solve a particular problem.. but the most acceptable and efficient shud be the one that takes the least time to solve the ques....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I will drop in my tips on Time Management for aptitude tests conducted by companies. I was lucky to crack those tests in time ๐Ÿ˜

Can we get started? Drop in your questions and we'll try to work on them.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    aashima
    well being myself a novice in this subject... i can only help dropping in some aptitude questions and providing with the solutions thereafter...
    we can have questions on different topics like:
    1. tricky maths series
    2. symbols matching
    3. riddles
    4. odd ones out

and many many more.....
    well same here...even I am a tyro in this...Can anyone throw some light on aptitude test for placement companies in a detailed manner as in, how many sections does it contain, how much time is given for the test, which section u can score max marks in, where are most of the questions from eg. as in Mathematics Ages,Time and Work etc etc???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    easier questions first !

neha
    well same here...even I am a tyro in this...Can anyone throw some light on aptitude test for placement companies in a detailed manner as in, how many sections does it contain, how much time is given for the test, which section u can score max marks in, where are most of the questions from eg. as in Mathematics Ages,Time and Work etc etc???
    Neha,

The format of aptitude test is decided by the company. In India, Infosys relies on puzzle solving abilities of candidates whereas company like Kanbay will expect you to crack a quants paper. So its better that one should gather as much information as possible before appearing for aptitude tests conducted by any company. It helps devicing a strategy.

Now a strategy that helps in all tests is - Solve the easy ones first! No one gives you extra marks to solve the tough ones. So go through the question paper and spot the easy ones. My experience tells me that almost all question papers have lot of easy questions. They should be cracked first.

I'll drop in more comments later ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    The_Big_K
    Neha,

The format of aptitude test is decided by the company. In India, Infosys relies on puzzle solving abilities of candidates whereas company like Kanbay will expect you to crack a quants paper. So its better that one should gather as much information as possible before appearing for aptitude tests conducted by any company. It helps devicing a strategy.

Now a strategy that helps in all tests is - Solve the easy ones first! No one gives you extra marks to solve the tough ones. So go through the question paper and spot the easy ones. My experience tells me that almost all question papers have lot of easy questions. They should be cracked first.

I'll drop in more comments later ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
    Yeah! I agree...it wud be beneficial to crack easy ones first as it will save lot of time..but tell me one thing one should directly start the xam when question paper is in hand or spot the easy ones first..as searching for easy questions require going thru each qestion and tat too wud require a lot of time...watsay???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    neha
    Yeah! I agree...it wud be beneficial to crack easy ones first as it will save lot of time..but tell me one thing one should directly start the xam when question paper is in hand or spot the easy ones first..as searching for easy questions require going thru each qestion and tat too wud require a lot of time...watsay???
    I had the same question when I heard about this technique. Here's the answer -

1. Look for the Geometry questions. They are easy to spot & 90% of them are usually easy. Of course, this might not be applicable to everyone. But geometry is a topic which can be mastered easily.

2. Work/Time related questions are easy too. You need not real whole question always to decide weather to attempt it or not.

3. Skip the probabilty/permutation-combination related questions ๐Ÿ˜› (unless, of course, you are a master in it ๐Ÿ˜› )

4. Practice a lot. This will tell you which questions to attempt. This works, believe me.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    Okay...

Okay!! Actually u know its practice which makes one perfect and help in inventing new techniques...Thanx newaz...Looking for more
  • Neha
    Neha
    First...

here's the first question:

A no. consist of three digits whose sum is 10.The middle digit is equal to sum of other two and no. will be increased by 99 if digits are reversed.The no. is:

a) 145 b) 253 c)370 d)352

I have cum up wid a solution thats most time saving according to me...other techniques are welcomed too.

Sol: all of the options have sum of their digits as 10 but only option b and d have their middle digit whose sum is equal to other two.Now the answer has to be decided between option b and d.Now adding 99 to option b,the answer comes out to be 352, the digits 2 and 3 got reversed. so the answer is (b).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, most of the questions could be cracked from the options. Its a big time saver in competitive exams.

-The Big K-
  • praveen
    praveen
    neha s question

The answer for ur question is 253 i.e option b
  • Neha
    Neha
    The_Big_K
    Well, most of the questions could be cracked from the options. Its a big time saver in competitive exams.

-The Big K-
    So, we can collect the points which help us in cracking aptitude:

1.Try to crack the question from the options given, it saves time.
  • Neha
    Neha
    One more..

If ab+bc+ca=0

then (a^2/a^2-bc) + (b^2/b^2-ab) + (c^2/c^2-ab) is equal to:

A. 0
    B. 1
    C. -1
    D. -[1/bc + 1/ca + 1/ab]

I don't know the answer..solve it out and write down your answer.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Problem..

In A,B,C are having some marbles with each of them.
    A has given B and C the same number of marbles each of them already have.
    Then, B gave C and A the same number of marbles they already have.
    Then C gave A and B the same number of marbles they already have.
    At the end A,B,and C have equal number of marbles.

If the total number of marbles are 72, then the number of marbles with A at the starting

(a) 20
    (b) 30
    (c) 32
    (d) 39

Ans. (d)
  • navneet
    navneet
    hello frens , m glad to join this cammunity. hopefully we all will get benefit from this
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    hey plz....post sum new questions....That wuld really help....for sure...
  • Neha
    Neha
    There is a circle of radius 1 cm. Each member of a sequence' of regular polygons S1(n), n = 4, 5, 6,..., where n is the number of sides of the polygon, is circumscribing the circle; and each member of the sequence of regular polygons S2(n), n = 4, 5, 6,... where n is the number of sides of the polygon, is inscribed in the circle. Let L1(n) and L2(n) denote the perimeters of the corresponding polygons of S1(n) and S2(n).
    Then {L1(13) + 2p}/L2(17) is
  • rishu
    rishu
    Can any1 tell me where can i get online aptitude questions
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rishu
    Can any1 tell me where can i get online aptitude questions
    Here! On CE!

There are many of them!

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    1. In a seminar, the number of participants in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are 96, 36 and 180 respectively. Find the minimum number of rooms required if in each room the same number of participants are to be seated and all of them being in the same subject.
    (a) 12 (b) 21 (c) 36 (d) 26 (e) Not possible

2. If the last divisor is 75 and the quotients are 3,1,1 and 3 respectively, in finding the HCF of two numbers by the method of division, then those two numbers are
    (a) 500, 1875 (b) 425, 1675 (c) 525, 1875 (d) 525, 1575 (e) 575, 1875

3. The greatest number of three digits which when added to 45 is exactly divisible by 6,8,12 is:
    (a) 963 (b) 987 (c) 984 (d) 980 (e) 1077
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Biggie, when I read the first post for this thread I had an urge and a little feeling of responsibility to correct something very important.

There is a difference between Aptitude tests and Entrance/Competitive tests.

Aptitude tests cannot be learnt or be given tips/tricks on. The test is your ability to perform in certain areas and find strengths in the best of those areas. If you ever try to 'copy' or by chance get a good score; it will give a wrong sense of your abilities and where you have to actually improve. Topics include SPACIAL LITERATURE ASTHMATICS GEOMETRY etc

Why am I getting pointing this out so passionately?

For one I feel a little disheartened at first year students asking me:

'Which field is good?'
    'What do I choose to earn good money?'
    'Oh, I just randomly selected Comp.SC for the heck of it!'

Thats not how you treat yourself! Find what you love and what you are good at and yeah, getting good tips on SAT's GRE TOEFL GMAT CAT MAT TRAP BLAH is really good. Like Neha has posted some really good Q's here which will help. And how about some literature Q's too? ๐Ÿ˜€

So guys remember to really think before you choose to do anything in college, now you dont wanna sit and do some boring job which you never liked. (I feel like opening up a new thread related to this discussion...getting so worked up!!!!111)
  • LORD_EC
    LORD_EC
    Ans.1) d (26)
    Ans.2) c (525,1875)
    Ans.3) a (963)

@Neha
    Can you please tel me how many of them are correct ?
  • sxdfgsad34
    sxdfgsad34
    the best site i have used is this one: #-Link-Snipped-#
    you have to pay to get all the tests but it is well worth the money!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Shucks, missed out on this thread, otherwise, I would have posted much earlier ๐Ÿ˜€, here are the few formats of the aptis that I have given -

1. TCS - Simple 1 hour aptitude test, focusing on Verbal, DI and Quants (in that order). An MBA aspirant should be able to take out this test within 30 minutes, so the 1 hour time limit is pretty much doable. All it requires is TO NOT PANIC.
    2. MBT (now TechM) - This one is a decent one (back in 2002), involves a little bit of technical as well. Should be prepared to tackle the technical and the math ones.
    3. Godrej - I do not even know whether they have this anymore or not. But this one is probably the longest aptitude I ever gave. It drains you out, be prepared for the longer run. The trick is to keep cool, and think your answers through.
    4. Infy - Puzzle oriented. Shakuntala Devi's book is recommended.
    5. Accenture - This would be a technical one, I dont know for sure whether its for freshers or not, I had given it after 12mths of working, the technical questions were pretty good. GD follows.
    6. Patni - Simple aptitude, some C/C++ questions. GD follows.
    All these are processes each company followed in 2002, so may be subject to change.

One thing about aptitude tests that I would like to say is - always keep your cool and not panic. Sometimes you do not have to solve the problem to mark the right answer. And ensure that your basics are set.

Secondly, note that most of the exams are corrected and made by HR managers, so the aptitude tests are along the lines of any b-school aptitude test (ala CET). Get used to that, and aptitude tests will be a cake walk.

All the best and God Bless!
  • user
    user
    Re: Problem..

Neha
    In A,B,C are having some marbles with each of them.
    A has given B and C the same number of marbles each of them already have.
    Then, B gave C and A the same number of marbles they already have.
    Then C gave A and B the same number of marbles they already have.
    At the end A,B,and C have equal number of marbles.

If the total number of marbles are 72, then the number of marbles with A at the starting

(a) 20
    (b) 30
    (c) 32
    (d) 39

Ans. (d)
    hi...
    after reading this question i get really afraid that how i am going to solve problems in aptitude test during campus interview...please post more number of questions like this so that every one will get really benefited through this...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After engineering,an engineer has to face a lot of interviews till his last breathe on campus or off campus.. may it be for job or for higher education!Can we have...
The actor with a cadre,with his best abilities.. arshad warsi,action hero.. oopss what is he doing in a comedy movie?๐Ÿ˜‰ tushar at his best with all his acting abilities with...
Hello CEans - well those who directly landed on the forums! Check out www.CrazyEngineers.com ! ... & then read this post ! Surprized ๐Ÿ˜ ? Did you vote on the...
CEans! Let me take a moment to answer few questions - 1. Will the administrator see my password? Ans: No! The administrator cannot (errr. did you say cannot?) see your...
Would there be a site where I could find mechanical engineers with Pro/E experience in working on engine cooling issues ? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. We have several...