Power Loss

hi,

Here's the link to the simple circuit:
#-Link-Snipped-#

let us assume a circuit with two DC supplies of 5V and 3V, and a resistor of 1k in series with one another. Also 5V and 3V are opposing one another.

Now the power loss across the resistor is I*I*R. = 4mW.
The question is will there be any power loss across the 3V.

I feel ,there won't be any power loss across the 3V supply as the resultant 2V will be supplying the 2mA current to the circuit. Am I right.

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    In fact it gains power = 6mW.

- Karthik
    😁
  • beenuseren
    beenuseren
    what does gaining power mean?
  • beenuseren
    beenuseren
    If I assume the power supplies to be batteries, then there will be power gain across 3V. But I have assumed the power supplies to be regulated power supplies which are ideal. That is, no internal resistance and 100% efficient.

Now will there be any power loss across the 3V supply?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    No. Since the current will flow from the 5V supply into the 3V supply, it will always gain power. It is like charging a battery.

- Karthik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are in the middle 2010 Here ,I will not talk about world where did you see India after 2020? What are your expectations? Let us keep all money minded...
Buildings are the Worst Killers than the Earthquake. Earthquakes don’t kill; badly built houses do. . In certain hilly areas there were many traditional methods of construction which could allow...
Hi, I have a monitor with a KSD1691 transistor in its powersupply which has failed and needs replacing. Unfortunately the only place I can find it for sale in the...
hello friends, Anybody have some idea about what a turing machine is ? Where it is used ? :smile:
hi friends, Can anyone tell me what is the use of studying theory of computation. What is its practical application? What limitations in computer system leads to the evaluation of...