Please help, same metal samples from two sources machine differently

Hi all

I need your help, I've got two suppliers of Naval brass, the materials are the same from each supplier and a chemical analysis has confirmed this, a hardness test has also been completed with no major differences between the two samples found. The problem is that both of them machine completely different. One of them is perfect and machines easily, yet the other is very difficult and breaks a lot of tools.

The suppliers can't understand why this could happen, so I was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas as to how two materials supposedly the same can act differently on a machine?

Rich

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Richard O'Connor
    I' t two suppliers of Naval brass, the materials are the same from each supplier and a chemical analysis has confirmed this. One of them is perfect and machines easily, yet the other is very difficult and breaks a lot of tools. Rich
    Normal chemical analysis does not tell the whole story. Small additives, which are clubbed under 'other metals' can drastically alter machinability. Grain structure can vary depending on the metallurgical history of the stock material. This also modifies machining behaviour. Finer grain usually machines better. Sometimes proprietary additives are used to improve certain characteristics like machining. These are in quite small amounts and can be missed in normal chemical analysis.

Have you conducted any spectrometric evaluation? If so, do both alloys show the same spectrum?
  • Richard O'Connor
    Richard O'Connor
    Thank you for your fast response and for the explanation, I've passed the message on to the people who are working on this with me and hopefully it will allow us to move forward.

Thanks again for the help 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pulling off the ultimate career makeover - Fortune Management
www.natural-ui.com, ,Natural User Interface (NUI) is a Swedish innovative emerging technology company specializing in delivering commercially available advanced multi-touch software, hardware and service solutions, to the global market. [video=youtube;oD-SacHOKqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-SacHOKqc[/video]
Do anybody know the placement procedure of HCL Technologies-server and storage services?? It would be great if you could give me the placement papers of that company. I desperately need...
Flexible Workstation Suitable For Industrial Cutting, Welding and Drilling JK Lasers would like to introduce the JK System 5000, a flexible workstation that can be integrated with lasers from both...
please help me out to do this project, provide me some detailed suggestion about this project as early as possible...