Plastic identification by grade

I am a final year student and currently I have this idea of a machine that sorts different types of plastics depending on their grades. I was recently reading about spectroscopy techniques which in my opinion was the best way to identify plastics, however, these spectroscopy tools are pretty big and expensive, so my question is, is there a cheap way to implement any kind of sensor that can identify different plastics, or maybe any emitting and receiving system which can help support the idea?

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am afraid not. There are many grades even in one class of polymer say Polyethylene. There are too many polymers, blends and interpenetrating networks. Even any one polymer, say polypropylene can be made transparent, opaque, or mono or biaxially oriented. No optical or thermal or electrical sensor can differentiate between the thousands of versions available.
  • Abdullah Alanesi
    Abdullah Alanesi
    A.V.Ramani
    I am afraid not. There are many grades even in one class of polymer say Polyethylene. There are too many polymers, blends and interpenetrating networks. Even any one polymer, say polypropylene can be made transparent, opaque, or mono or biaxially oriented. No optical or thermal or electrical sensor can differentiate between the thousands of versions available.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I see, from what I previously read, the spectroscopy techniques that they use can get the wavelength of the material scanned, thus they can employ this technique for pre-selected products that they know they'll deal with. What if i limit the sorting to 4 grades for example PET, HDPE, LDPE and PVC, is there a cheap way which I can get the wavelength of a material?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    These are IR wavelengths. I am not aware of any simple way to do this analysis.
    Analysis

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone. Myself Anup Singh and I am just a semester away from having a degree in Mechanical engineering. A person of various interests defines me well and automotive dynamics...
If the rumour mill leaks online working overtime, are to be believed Lenovo’s new offering Moto G5 Plus is on the anvil to be launched late February at MWC 2017...
The wait is over. It is time for Google's Android Wear, its software for powering wearable devices, to get a reboot after being on the market for more than two...
The global Internet search giant, Google Inc. has grabbed the contract to make the city of Pune Wi-Fi ready. Google will work in collaboration with L&T, IBM and RailTel on...
The brand in talks, Xiaomi has recently unveiled its latest Redmi Note 4X specifying a range of color variants including a special edition devoted to humanoid manga idol, "Hatsune Miku"...