Pi=4 Paradox (Explain This!)

[โ€‹IMG]

Makes any sense?? How do you explain this? Anyway it is interesting ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Re: Calling all CE's - Explain this!!

Hmm, yeah. Interesting paradox!!

I know of a way to explain this.. I'll wait for other explanations before giving mine!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've a problem with the 'Repeat To Infinity' part. It's still zig-zag and can never be a circle.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Biggie is correct
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yes. This arises due to the difference between countably infinite and uncountably infinite points..

In case of removing corners from a square, even after infinite iterations, only a finite number of points of the square will be on the circle.
    But a circle has infinite number of points.

So, even at infinity, the square with corners removed will approach a circle, but never rally become a circle.

So, we can say that after infinite iterations, maybe, the area of the two curves are equal. ie., the square converges to a curve with the same area as the circle, but their perimeters are still different.
  • makru921
    makru921
    Biggie, repeating to infinity means considering that a circle is made of zig zag lines with infinitesimally small length. We can counter the paradox by stating that a circle has infinite points and after infinite iterations the area might become equal to that of the square, like silverscorpion did. However it is quite possible to imagine that a circle is formed by such very small lines. In that case, the paradox wins! I tried to convince myself that this is impossible but the thought of that possibility remains.. It is really scary!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Consider this -

1) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/..... (infinity)
    2) ------------------.....(infinity) [Consider this as a continuous line ๐Ÿ˜ ]

The first zig-zag line is almost twice (just an approximation) that of straight line #2 for any section cut at equal distance from the start point.

If I make the first line small enough, still maintaining the zig-zag nature; the length will still be twice that of line 2. That's exactly I meant. Even if you go about infinity - it will NEVER be a 'straight' line; thus these two lines can never be of the same length.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi..im very happy to be a member of crazy engg.. im very interested in doing new innovative projects in social aspects..eg:for blind,deaf..etc im a eee student..can u help me by...
i want to implement the algorithm of round robin to allocate the time slot to the various tasks of different time unit by using the concept of multitasking
How to write 4 in between 5? ๐Ÿ˜•
MORE than one and a half billion of the world's poorest people will be condemned to a life of poverty if they continue to be denied access to basic energy...
I need a powerpoint that explain an electric motor. who can give me?