1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Performance of VARCHAR Index in MySQL

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Coffee Room on Feb 12, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 12, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

I'm exploring the possibility of adding index on a fixed-length VARCHAR column on table in MySQL database I'm working on. This table is expected to grow big very quickly [over 10 million rows]. 

I've a few questions -

1. Is it true that integer (or numeric?) indexes are considerably faster than non-numeric ones?

2. Would it be wiser to convert the string to be added into a hash (MD5) and then store it as a Hash Index? 

3. Or should I find out a way to convert the textual string into a unique number first and then index it? 

PS: I'm not very familiar with Indexing. 

Posted in: #Coffee Room
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 13, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

While you're online - could you let me know your thoughts, @Prasad Ajinkya ?

Prasad Ajinkya
Prasad Ajinkya · Feb 13, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

If you are thinking of using Hash Indexes, then why not work with a system that's built for it (Mongo? Couch?)

Hash Indexes wont allow you to do comparative checks (<, >, etc). Keep that in mind and design. At 10m rows, I'd want to think about these issues. 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 13, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Thank you @Prasad Ajinkya . I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to use NoSQL only for handing specific data. I'm wondering if Redis could be used. 

Prasad Ajinkya
Prasad Ajinkya · Feb 13, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

Isn't Redis dependent on your memory size? Can all your records be stored? You could (and perhaps should) use it as a cache.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up