People who are naturally good at math/science.

I'm not naturally good at math/science, but I try really really hard in those classes and I can only score average. It's not like I don't know the material, because when someone just ask me about it, I can answer it. But when I take the test or quizzes, I have an idea of how to do it, but somehow I just keep picking the wrong answers. And this is what really kills me. When I'm taking a test or quiz, my first instincts has me circle the correct answer. But I keep thinking that I should probably think more about the answer, and I somehow convince myself another answer is the correct answer. And I have done this a whole lot. I'm not sure what kind of problem this is. What's the difference between me and someone who is naturally good at it? We both know the material, just one is more confident than the other?

Replies

• Neha
    Neha
    Its not that that some are naturally good at it..but the thing is they have practised more..wat I think is you are afraid of test/quiz and that make u think you have chosen incorrect anwer just like some people have stage fear and they do not perform well..wat I would suggest is practise a lot and lot for test/quiz..the more u practise, the more confident u'll become..and u'll surely solve it.
    You can go for online quiz/test and solve more and more and more till you succeed.😛
  • rick
    rick
    nothing wrong

Hey akc!

Stop thinking that you have a problem. I had been through the same. I continued to make mistakes when I knew my subject well. It happens and nothing wrong with it.

What's the difference between me and someone who is naturally good at it? We both know the material, just one is more confident than the other?
    We are talking about math & science. It is apparant that you rely on your guess & gut feeling while picking the right answers. If you take a mathematics paper then there will be only one right answer. Therefore, if you know the steps to solve the question, you will get the correct answer. No one can go wrong.

Considering this, you need to practice more. Do not rely on gut feeling. Math/Science are the subjects where only logic can help.
    But I keep thinking that I should probably think more about the answer, and I somehow convince myself another answer is the correct answer.
    This is the problem! If you know the subject well, you will circle the correct answer. If you know the answer to the quiz question, you'll pick it anyway.

So, here is my suggestion-
    1. Stop thinking that there is any difference between you and others.
    2. Study smart. Understand the implied concept.
    3. Math - Hard work is the key. The more you practice the better you get at math. Don't give up. Feel free to discuss your math questions in the Quantitative (Dis)ability section.

Rick
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well said, Rick.

Moving the thread to Help Me! section.

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima
    yes

I agree with neha and rick. Reason is not that you lack the capability. Its just that you need to prepare yourself for it more harder. Thats right though that some people catch something more easily and some do not. But there is nothing that one cannot do. Put in your best efforts, get well with the basic fundamentals, build more and more better understanding of the subject and then slowly go for the higher levels. You yourself would notice the difference. And ofcourse things seem more interesting when you know how to tackle them. Good luck 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Its time to have a reply from akc. I hope that this thread is helping him/her.

Please comment as soon as possible.

-The Big K-
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Maths - Ahh I Feared to Hear.

THats a centry scorer man which at school.

Now got feaured LIke you 'AKC'.

But only one thing,

Dont look at who is teaching maths,

Bcoz i realized that many maths professors will speak only to board and not to us.

Even that a big reason, Where we can have doubt ourself that , Lecture not seeing us - so no problem with us.

But thats the problem ,
    If they look us while teaching, Then we would get atleast some fear and Workout Twice to Achieve.

So dont confuse yourself take and handle a Right Strategy Like me.

Regards,
    A.SK...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans! The "CE: Higher Education" section has been a part of CE forums since its inception. We must decide the future of this section. Following are the suggestions for...
Name: Rocker 😁 Engineering Trade: Sound Occupation: Self - Employed Work Experience: Read fun experience - 6 years in Sound engineering Hobbies & Interests: Rock Music, Travelling. Aim in life:...
Hello CEans! Not many of us are aware of how the share market works. This thread specifically focuses the basics of stocks & shares. Ask questions, post useful information and...
Hello CEans! The "CE: Higher Education" section has been a part of CE forums since its inception. We must decide the future of this section. Following are the suggestions for...
It would not be wrong to frame gen Y as ipod,laptop and cellphone generation.Its hard to imagine life without these things. But the question which arises is, with this digital...