Is GEN Y losing touch with their parents?

It would not be wrong to frame gen Y as ipod,laptop and cellphone generation.Its hard to imagine life without these things.
But the question which arises is, with this digital world of ours have we lost touch with our parents.Do we really care of our parents and ready to spare time for them?
Its seen that children like to attend parties with their friends rather than hanging out with parents.They would spend hours in their room with laptops and cell-phones but still theres no point denying the fact that they are more candid when compared to the relation which their father has with their grandparents.Talking 10years back,it was considered a sin if a son told his father that he loves a girl and want to marry her but now its as normal as eating popcorn.Today, a child no matter a girl or a boy is ready to share every part of life with his/her parents, so we can say that GEN Y is more frank as compared to GEN X..but lets c what do CE-ans have to say about it?

Replies

• AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    neha
    It would not be wrong to frame gen Y as ipod,laptop and cellphone generation.Its hard to imagine life without these things.
    But the question which arises is, with this digital world of ours have we lost touch with our parents.Do we really care of our parents and ready to spare time for them?
    Its seen that children like to attend parties with their friends rather than hanging out with parents.They would spend hours in their room with laptops and cell-phones but still theres no point denying the fact that they are more candid when compared to the relation which their father has with their grandparents.Talking 10years back,it was considered a sin if a son told his father that he loves a girl and want to marry her but now its as normal as eating popcorn.Today, a child no matter a girl or a boy is ready to share every part of life with his/her parents, so we can say that GEN Y is more frank as compared to GEN X..but lets c what do CE-ans have to say about it?
    I agree with you that some years back, a son will not dare tell his dad about his love for a girl and wanting to marry her, but I would like to add here that we have an open culture these days which gives the son that freedom to do so. I dont think it is wrong in any way. And as far as politeness is concerned, hope you read the article in Readers Digest July 2006 regarding the politeness of an average youngster and it is way above than what elders do. This is a very tricky situation wherein there are definitely pros and cons, but to say at least in India, the Gen Y still hold their parents in high esteem and with respect. Others - comments awaited
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Agree with AlameluKrishnan

Neha if you are talking about Indian youth.... Then technology is prevailing since ages and it has always been progressing and its not that the new technologies have taken the kids away from their parents.It is a way of life.. Our grand parents were used to radio then the T.V and other technological inventions came during our parents times and now the mobile and laptops no where have the values and respect for parents been influenced. and i think its unfair to compare both these things! 😀 Cause there exists no comparision.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Technology has always been influencing us,our Grandparents and parents but tell me one thing have u ever seen your dad/mom with headphones on the whole day..Rarely i guess and earlier children were in complete touch with their moms atleast coz mom used to stay at home completely concentrating on herr child's health but now a days moms are busy with their own jobs as well...watsay??
    But apart the points I mentioned, we can still see children in much better contact with their parents than earlier relations...maybe due to open culture.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    I feel that yes there is a huge divide or a barrier between us & our parents, one which I call the 'time' barrier. Due to our constant addiction to our cellphones,laptops & iPods we have started 'giving' lesser time to our parents.Its true even our parents are busy with their professional lives. And to be frank simply voicing our opinion about a particular thing in front of our parents doesn't mean 'closeness',It means that our parents have become open-minded about certain things & they acknowledge & respect their kids' decisions.
    But in all this gadget-driven lifestyle we have lost the soul-to-soul talk with our parents, we have become oblivious to their struggles, joys & sorrows. I think fancy gadgets should remain a luxury & not a necessity, simple because in the end they are just 'dumb' machines.
  • freak16
    freak16
    I completely agree with shreya. The world has become virtual in the humanity and virtues.
    Digital technology make us advanced , fast , comfortable seeking , lazy and loose in relations.
    We are in a cobweb of phones , ipods , laptops , notebooks such that the string of cordial relations with ours parents lost somewhere. Sometimes they dont have time but most of the time it is we who dont have time. I think the demand of world has been changed. everybody want to grow in their life and in this race we have lost so much that when we realize the importance of the support and love of parents it has been too late as our parents become old and may be we too are parents at that state.Techonolgy we need to flourish and get ahead of others..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Anyone out there can help me on this issue! Two capacitors in a power supply board for a oscillioscope emiited smoke and by the time i took out the...
Since my childhood, I have been taught that there are 9 planets in all. But recent studies,has shown that there are 8 planets in all and PLUTO is not to...
Hi from Netramohan Kakati
I'm a communications engineering student and wish to know a bit about mobile tower capacity. Can someone tell me how many calls are handled by a mobile tower at a...
hey ce'ans !!!😛 i think threads like analogies in gre wud be far more effective😁 if those posting the questions can answer it by giving reason as to why tat...