Password Security With Multiple Dummy Mouse Cursors

'Passwords' have continued to be the way we secure our computer systems, mobiles and tablets. There are several mechanisms that prevent password theft but those systems work mostly by capturing your keyboard inputs (keyloggers), taking snapshots etc. What if your friend or colleague is standing behind your back and tries to guess your password by looking at your mouse or gesture?​
slide
A new system solves this problem by employing multiple dummy moving cursors on the screen so that it's impossible for the onlooker to figure out which is the right cursor. Your first impression might be that the user himself will get confused which cursor is the right one, but the creators say that it doesn't happen. User exactly knows which cursor he is moving and where he's clicking. Check following video that shows how the system works.

I believe an immediate application could be in the mobile unlock screens. When you draw patterns to unlock your screen, it's very easy for a person standing next to you to guess what gesture you used to unlock your device. I'm thinking by displaying random gesture lines while the user draws the correct one, this problem can be tackled to some extent. However this is not a 100% workable method.

Can you think of any mechanisms by which you can prevent the onlookers from guessing your password?

Replies

• ashish barkodia
    ashish barkodia
    Make cursors with different colors or colors which changes..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, that'd be another good option. However, there is a chance that the color might make it easier to guess the password. But interesting suggestion, I must say.
  • Rajan Lenka
    Rajan Lenka
    Its very intresting Sir, can u plz tell me that how can i apply in my laptop or pc?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rajan Lenka
    Its very intresting Sir, can u plz tell me that how can i apply in my laptop or pc?
    The project has not been released to the masses yet. But I believe it'd be an interesting DIY project. Just needs some graphics skills.
  • Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    Awesome... They can give one option to associate color with cursor. Something like User can associate 5 colors with five alphabets. If user is finding difficulty with finding cursor, he can press any of the five alphabet and understand real cursor from the color...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MIT's robotics lab is surely full of interesting robotics projects. The latest project, a 70 pound Cheetah robot developed at MIT is just as efficient as a real Cheetah in...
Its Possible to get power from single table fan?
Please tell some electrical business. I am waiting for your kind reply. Please send details as soon as possible.
Indian markets are flooded with budget phones and tablets. Every new day, I see a new company offering their phones - with almost the same hardware and software and a...
are commonly used tyres in cars are tubeless or tyres with tubes..??