OSX El Capitan Download Speed Slow [FIXED]

If you are experiencing extremely slow download speed for OSX El Capitan, I've a fix for you. My computer was showing ~2 days as approximate time to download the 6GB of OSX update and I did a simple trick to bring id down to just about an hour. How did I do that? It's simple: Change the DNS address you're using.

On your system, click on Applications -> System Preferences -> Network. Then select the wireless or wired network that you are using to connect. Click on 'Advanced' -> DNS. You will now see a list of DNS servers on the left.

Try using a new DNS server. You can use the one provided by your ISP or by Google (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) or from Open DNS. In my tests, I found out that the one provided by OpenDNS works the best! However, you should check which DNS works the best for you.

Typically, switch over to the second DNS address and then click on 'OK' to make your settings effective. Watch your download speed go up! Enjoy!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends.. My DELL VOSTRO 1015 laptop having white screen problem. I used all the solutions which are given on the google but no any change in my lappy's white...
friends im a 3rd undergraduate student persuing my B.E in aerospace manufacturing department so can anyone suggest me a project for my final year based on manufacturing field so that...
Microsoft, just like Nokia isn’t very good at keeping secrets when it comes to its smartphone launches. In the past couple of months we have been hearing snippets and catching...
In April 2015, when Microsoft showed off Windows 10 operating system to the world, the most talked about upcoming feature was Continuum for Phones. Continuum for Phones would help Windows...
Yesterday, on 6th October, Microsoft launched the much anticipated Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL. In the same event, along with the phones Microsoft also launched the 4th generation of their...