OSI MODEL

hello!
i study about osi model layer from top layer to lower layer and vers i hope i understood it well but i get some of confusion on the application layer.
Some source say it's provides an interface for the end user operating a device connected to a network...!

And i come across the a question about it and fail to answer it with confidence." an outlook on osi model it's in which layer" (a) application (b) session (c) presentation (d) none of the above
and why?

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    joseph siomn
    ... a question about it and fail to answer it with confidence." an outlook on osi model it's in which layer" (a) application (b) session (c) presentation (d) none of the above
    and why?
    Assuming u are talking about MS Outlook, the UI you see is at the application layer. The OSI model tells about the functions done at each layer, based on that function you can understand, ie an application which is doing encryption and session mantainance will be working on all three layers.

There may be an application which has all custom protocols and send data through wire in the form of signals and it will be using all the 7 layers.

The OSI model helps to understand how communication system is partitioned into abstraction layers, if u want to analyze an application, u can do the same based on what the application is doing itself and which functionality it is taking from the underlying (eg OS).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi has created a new record by selling a million of its Redmi Note 4 within a span of just 45 days, tagging it as the fastest...
Be it the curved display or retina scanner, Samsung never ceases to amaze everyone with its innovative maneuvers. This time, Korean manufacturers took a very bold and artistic move of...
Google has announced that Gmail will now allow users to attach some real money to their emails and share it with contacts. Adding money in your outgoing mail is super...
Lenovo-owned Motorola has officially launched the much-awaited Moto G5 Plus smartphone today in India, at an event in New Delhi. The Chinese phone-maker first unveiled the smartphone alongside the slightly...
Hello Sir\Mam, I'm Bhagyalaxmi and I'm 14 years old. For my future I want to go for a Scientist/Engineer ‘SC’ job in ISRO. So my question is which can be...