Optic Fiber Joints

So the BSNL folks installed the fiber at our place and I was with them throughout the process. The most complicated part of the whole installation was the optic fiber joint. The BSNL team had brought a optic fiber joining machine (not sure what it's called). I was told it's worth Rs. 350,000 and it's got some awesome engineering packed inside.

The technician put two fibers opposite to each other and then the fiber joining device would show the whole process of creating a joint on the display. It'd first align the joints and then perform a warm-welding. I'm quite curious to know how the whole process works and why's heat required to join the optic fiber ends.

I also want to know whether the joints affect the data flow rate in any way. Here's a video I found on YouTube that shows the entire process -

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Joints, yeah they affect the bandwidth..... More the joints more the loss. Hence the connection in FOCs are preferred with minimum joints.

During diploma I read the different ways to cut/join FOCs known as slicing/splicing etc.,... Unfortunately I didn't remembered the specific name of method to join FOCs.... But from what I remember, we keep two split end of FOC in a box like structure which has some metal on it(some compound made from silica) ..... When heat is applied the conducting metal melts and two splitted end of FOCs are joined.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So, it's just the way I expected. I didn't spot any metal on the fibers being joined. But I'm now more curious to know how much is the bandwidth affected via these joints? Is it something very noticeable? I'm guessing there will at least be about 3-5 joints on the cable from my home to the exchange. I'll try to post a detailed speed report once the connection is active.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I dont know about no. of turn versus loss ratio.
    I wanna know that, the FOCs are kept open ? like in ADSL ?
    because from what i know, bendings affects more than joints ... at certain angle of bending, there is more than 90% loss in bandwidth, so most part of FOCs are under-ground.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    ya the big k i agree with troll,the concept of fiber splices and fiber joint it mainly leads to the data speed reduces and also reflection losses may occurs this leads to noise and signal attenuation may happens lesser joints lesser in losses..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello from Grayhat. I'm happy to be a part of this community. Looks like a very interesting site.
is it a advantage if we do paper presentations in afiiliated colleges??and for doing presentations in IIT's and NIT's should we have to do our own research work or just...
Since virtual box is open source..To modify the source code of virtual box which language should be used?
Few years ago, Apple's iconic CEO, Steve Jobs announced to the world that they've invented the 'touch-screen' and it's going to bring a revolution to the way users interact with...
I believe road construction is one of the important topic that falls under the civil engineering department. I decided to search for the latest technologies being used in road constructions...