Keyboard For Windows 8 Tablet - Why It's A Need

Few years ago, Apple's iconic CEO, Steve Jobs announced to the world that they've invented the 'touch-screen' and it's going to bring a revolution to the way users interact with electronic gadgets. To some extent, Steve Jobs was right. Ever since the launch of iPhone and subsequently the iPad, Apple's led the electronics industry to make the touch-screen a default feature and mode of interaction with the devices. The touch-screens opened a whole new world of possibilities to let the software and app developers think about user interaction with the GUI. Popular games like Angry Birds would not be as successful without the touch-screen experience.

Ever since the evolution of computers and the graphical user interface; the keyboards and the mouse have been an integral part of computing devices. The technology was invented by XEROX and was rapidly adopted by the computing industry. However, with the evolution of mobile devices and advancement of the touchscreen technology, the displays are rapidly eliminating the need of separate peripherals.

Samsung decided to break free and bring the 'stylus' back to the gadgets with the launch of Samsung Galaxy Note - and it was well received. A lot of new capabilities made their way to the stylus and I'm sure that other manufacturers will adopt the stylus in their gadgets. The point I'm driving home is that there are more possibilities with a dedicated input device.

In October, Microsoft will launch the much awaited Windows 8 operating system. Microsoft has already announced a new type of tablet, called 'Microsoft Surface', which has a keyboard embedded in the smart-cover. I believe it's much needed and will make it possible to do some 'real work' on tablet computers. I've been an iPad use for a long time and believe that without a dedicated keyboard, it's almost impossible to do any productive task or 'business stuff' on it. Be it sending a large mail, posting on forums or writing a blog entry - I can't let go of a keyboard. Touchscreens are good; but I believe they're far away from being adopted as mainstream input device.

I wish to know what's been your experience with the touchscreen and their use in doing some real stuff? Have you ever typed anything significant using only touchscreen?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I believe road construction is one of the important topic that falls under the civil engineering department. I decided to search for the latest technologies being used in road constructions...
As you can guess, I'm getting very curious about the road construction technology. I stumbled upon an old article that talked about usage of "Zycosoil" Nano-Technology in road construction. The...
I was thinking about the instant booting operating systems and the first thought that popped up in my mind is that given the speed of RAM; what if we store...
The Facebook fans with the over-priced devices from Apple may head over to the iTunes store in your macbooks or iMacs and update the facebook messenger app to version 2.0....
I remember whenever I visited campuses for recruiting candidates for the company I worked for, the most often and obvious question was "What's the salary package you're offering?". While it's...