Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Alienator
    can anyone exlain me what is offset voltage in simple words....😕
    #-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    this information was helpful......but i wanted the definition of offset voltage.....i didnt understand the exact concept behind it....its kind off confusing...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Offset voltage is mostly a problem with operational amplifiers or op amps. In an ideal amplifier if the input is 0 volts, the out put will also be zero volts. However, in real op amps there will be a finite output voltage for zero input. At unity gain the value of this output is called input offset voltage. There is no single cause for this. It has to do with the small errors and imbalances in the various transistors comprising the total circuit. It is convenient to club all of these errors under the term input Offset Voltage. Unfortunately the out put voltage will vary with the gain and also temperature. Expensive chips with compensation to minimize offset are available.

This offset voltage can be of either polarity. The designer builds in appropriate reverse bias circuits to tune out this offset.
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    thanks a lot....i have one more doubt regarding this topic....this offset voltage is an advantage or disadvantage to the circuits??if we get the output without any input it is a good thing only na?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you think it through, you will realize that it is not. The offset ends up as error in the measured signal. If you are measuring temperature, for example, this offset will indicate a temperature when there is none. Not only that the offset varies from unit to unit. As mentioned earlier, the offset also gets amplified along with the signal. This can be a nuisance when very small signals are being processed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why is that when we mail someone the mail might reach him/her in few days but we chat with him /her its real time communication.. how come in chatting there...
I just read the term 'Green Engine'. Can someone tell me what exactly is a green engine and how does it function?
Firefox is coming soon to the tablets! Firefox for tablet offers many exciting features. Those who want to take a look, head over to: Firefox for Tablets « Ian Barlow
I'm asking a different question here - I want to know the reasons CEans think for not doing an MBA. Does MBA guarantee your dream job, money and status? What...
The campus placements season is on. We're getting lot of visitors who're looking for help on interviews, aptitude tests and so on. We already have several how to face interviews....