number of spark plugs

do we get the combustion completed if we use two spark plugs. if we use less quality fuel..........

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    What do we mean by "less quality" fuel? One quality used to measure gasoline quality is its "octane" rating. A lower rating in octane means the fuel is more likely to combust without the aid of a spark plug. The pressure in the cylinder alone may cause it to detonate. In a high compression engine, low octane fuel will detonate prematurely. I don't think adding another spark plug to the cylinder has any effect on fixing this problem.

There might be other meanings of fuel quality.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    the question seems important, if we ever want to run engines on vegetable oils. I somehow don't think that we need more spark plugs to initiate combustion.....maybe more temperature.
  • gohm
    gohm
    You definately get a much more efficient (faster & quicker), complete & cleaner burn on the stroke with a dual spark setup. Yes, it will also assist with detontation because the placement of the primary spark plug in conjunction with the shape of the dome piston head partially blocks ignition. The secondary plug is usually located at the opposite end of the combustion chamber and many times referred to as the "inner" plug. I believe the design was created by an aircraft manufacture in the early 1900s.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Veg oil engines are easy to convert from diesel engines due to similar properties needed for both fuels. Veg oil requires high compression and glow plugs as it is much less volitile than gas. You are correct, for optimal operation, the oil should be heated first.

Gurjap
    the question seems important, if we ever want to run engines on vegetable oils. I somehow don't think that we need more spark plugs to initiate combustion.....maybe more temperature.
  • kumar.chandan89
    kumar.chandan89
    if we used turbocharger then it is possible to use low quality fuel like kirosin but the life offule injector is less
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    why use turbocharger, when we have nitromethane? 😛

just kidding. supercharger/turbocharger/nitro/nitromethane have the single task of providing more air for combustion. more air available for combustion, better our engine.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Being easily effected and more likely to cause damage to what some refer to as "knock" or "ping", higher octane fuel is required.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    well, yeah.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have a problem with my blog and I need suggestions to it. I put it in this section 'cos I think it can be a good topic for debate...
I read quite a few posts in this section regarding site suggestions and would like to give my feedback too. We could have a market section where Ceans could trade/buy/sell...
Source: Technology Review: Packing More into Lithium Batteries Researchers at Stanford University have developed an electrode that can be used to make more energy-dense lithium-sulfur batteries. If issues surrounding life-cycle...
please help me out in makink full duplex data and vioce transiever using laser as meduim of transmission
keep deep interest in embedded c connectivity with the networking and navigate your own robot for extracting info. with chip programing..Is there any view..