blogging dilemma-what should be done?

I have a problem with my blog and I need suggestions to it. I put it in this section 'cos I think it can be a good topic for debate too(mods may change the section if its inappropriate).

Here's the matter:

I own a technical blog. Specifically it's based on computer. I have received requests for 'could be immoral' kind of information such as "sir I want to learn hacking. Please tell me where to start and how to hack accounts", "I want to know how to install and use keyloggers" and the types.

While I don't believe in hacking being bad(it depends on the user) but I definitely do not encourage people to jump to account hacking and all that 'cos it definitely is going to be used illegally. Though I have a proper disclaimer for that, I still do not wish to encourage such behavior/activities.

My question is, what should be my reaction to such people. Till now I've kept quiet and haven't replied to such people (some 11-12 till now). Remember that I am new to blogging and have started it actively only since January. Over a period of time I might end up losing potentially regular visitors. Am confused and therefore seek suggestions. I have seen this forum's policies regarding such things and I respect them for that. But my thought is that anything done for the purpose of seeking knowledge is ok and if asked in that sense, it is fine to share that knowledge. Ofcourse what the person does with that is not within my purview(and that's where the disclaimers come into picture). Put yourself in my shoes and suggest me what would be the best thing to do. Should one cater to such requests or not? and if not, then how to deal with it effectively?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ha ha hacking accounts

just make them aware of law against cyber crime ..this is my method of treating such

people.Because most people don't know about this thus get them involved in such activities.

For phishing attack i think there is 5 years of jail
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    goyal420
    Ha ha hacking accounts

just make them aware of law against cyber crime ..this is my method of treating such

people.Because most people don't know about this thus get them involved in such activities.

For phishing attack i think there is 5 years of jail
    but wont it scare people away from the blog all together ๐Ÿ˜›

and by the way you are teaching people how to hack accounts on your blog aren't you ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You should simply tell them that hacking (/cracking) cannot be taught; its something that one develops when he/she is an expert with the systems.

"How to hack" was one of the top 10 searched terms on Google by Indians and clearly hacking interests every computer nerd out there. Reply with a standard response every time you get such request.

You certainly don't want to teach people how to crack their friend's accounts, do you? Moreover, do you really want to have the audience who are only interested in malicious activities? Its your take.

You won't believe how many "Send me ppt and complete circuit diagram and reports immediately" requests I get every day. They do not form 'good traffic'. I guess you got my point.

Regarding traffic - all you have to do is start writing great posts and people will come. Remember how TechCrunch started. Michael Arrington, a failed lawyer, just started writing about startups in silicon valley and see where TC today is. Don't worry about getting visitors. Write great content and visitors will come.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    You should simply tell them that hacking (/cracking) cannot be taught; its something that one develops when he/she is an expert with the systems.

"How to hack" was one of the top 10 searched terms on Google by Indians and clearly hacking interests every computer nerd out there. Reply with a standard response every time you get such request.

You certainly don't want to teach people how to crack their friend's accounts, do you? Moreover, do you really want to have the audience who are only interested in malicious activities? Its your take.

You won't believe how many "Send me ppt and complete circuit diagram and reports immediately" requests I get every day. They do not form 'good traffic'. I guess you got my point.

Regarding traffic - all you have to do is start writing great posts and people will come. Remember how TechCrunch started. Michael Arrington, a failed lawyer, just started writing about startups in silicon valley and see where TC today is. Don't worry about getting visitors. Write great content and visitors will come.
    thanks Big K . I got the thing I wanted. I definitely do not want people to get involved into malicious activities and that too cos of me. Though I propose free knowledge regarding anything and everything but am opposed to it being used for activities that are malicious in any way.

And long ago I had read in one of the hacker forums that the 1st rule in being is hacker is "DO NOT ASK HOW TO HACK"๐Ÿ˜› 'cos it's a skill that one possess through hard work and no one would give it away like that. It is something that should be learnt the hard way:smile:
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Though I propose free knowledge regarding anything and everything but am opposed to it being used for activities that are malicious in any way.
    ie what my thinking also?I agree i have posted many hacking tips in my blog but it is also true that i am not a promoter of hacking.They all are for knowledge only.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about blogging about network self defense? Thats what you call spreading knowledge that actually does good to society ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    @ ash point to be noted and will be done very soon ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I read quite a few posts in this section regarding site suggestions and would like to give my feedback too. We could have a market section where Ceans could trade/buy/sell...
Source: Technology Review: Packing More into Lithium Batteries Researchers at Stanford University have developed an electrode that can be used to make more energy-dense lithium-sulfur batteries. If issues surrounding life-cycle...
please help me out in makink full duplex data and vioce transiever using laser as meduim of transmission
keep deep interest in embedded c connectivity with the networking and navigate your own robot for extracting info. with chip programing..Is there any view..
I tried this and I got few doubts guys! I dont know why is this happening! Just try it and let me know! Open google and enter Crazyengineers and press...