Nostalgia creeping in.. Old CEans, how are you all doing? :)

The past couple of years, the core CE team has been under heap loads of work trying to make the dream of the new, unified CrazyEngineers platform come true. And now, lo and behold, we are here. The new platform has come to life and we are steadily working towards making improvements and launching the next bunch of awesome apps for all CEans.

Reminiscing about the past years, I thought of the glorious early years when some of the then joined CEans would log-in to CrazyEngineers first thing in the morning and post rambling and rants about their days, their experiences. It was a daily job to immediately reply to whatever new thread that was posted. 

I even recall logging off of CE and then logging in to Google Chat to discuss in long chat conferences about new contests and celebrating CrazyEngineers birthdays. :) We have definitely come a long way since that. After facing a lot of trouble for developing a platform that could make it easy for us to launch products and services that we always wanted to, it's so heartening to see that we have finally arrived.

Just tagging a bunch of CEans here who have supported CrazyEngineers through thick and thin.

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ ‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍  #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ (..tagging more people in comments)

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

What’s happening here? ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Welcome back #-Link-Snipped-#‍ Good to have you back on the site! How have you been doing? 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

How are you doing #-Link-Snipped-#‍? Good to have you back here with us. Is the new layout making you post more? ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ and #-Link-Snipped-#‍ - I think we could tag all the oldies? ? 

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Hello .here. how's the things at other end #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍  #-Link-Snipped-#‍ 

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

Hi there

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

I am doing good. How are you all? #-Link-Snipped-#‍ - You guys doing much bigger things. Hats off!

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Ha ha yes. Posted 4 or 5 duplicates. I tried to report those posts or PM you to remove them but I didn’t find those options then. As this is new, I will take some time to dig in to know what, where and How.  

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Howdy #-Link-Snipped-#‍! Very good to see you back on the site. How have you been? 

PS: The multiple posting bug has been fixed. ? 

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ How are you doing?
    Let me take few names from my earlier days to CE.

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ more coming soon !

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ -I have been doing good lately, thanks. How's you Bigk? I must say that you are doing a fantastic work in transforming RED CE to BLUE CE and we all can see that.

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - I am doing well, thanks. How it is going with you?

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ We need to start tagging all the oldies in this post. ASAP. ? 

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

Wow, it's been a long long time! Nice to see all of you here.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - aka Varun - it's so good to see you here, buddy! How have you been? 

Let's hope Ashraf joins in. I've pinged him on LinkedIn and he's promised to check in. 

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - yeah, But I could not find some usernames. May be they have got changed their  names. I could not find any VM or PM options. How to contact a person?

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ Yes. The current system works such that the persons who are ACTIVE are the first ones to be listed in the @ mention suggestions. We are still improving the tagging system. Do mention the names of all the people you want to tag. Let's find a way to get them all back here with us. :)

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew

Hi Folks! Where is everyone. Now that people have names here I can't figure out everyone. ;-). And the search bar seem to be missing, and also the list of 'Friends'. Miss the Old Forum Layout Badly. 

I guess change is inevitable.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

It's all coming. In fact, we've build a list of all our most active CEans and will be communicating with them in coming days about the changes they desire in the new site. 

You'll like the new 'Discussions' better; because this this keeps getting better and better! ? 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Looked at this thread first time,  nice :) But as #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned the daily ritual is not practised these days need to see why? I mean logging in first.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yeah, those days were awesome. Trust me, we are working on better versions of the features that we miss. Soon, you'll be able to see who's online with you and interact with them. We're racing against time to launch these features. 

PS: New email/password based login page just went live! 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I'm sure @lal would be pleased to know that login with email+password is back. ? We are glad every old CEan is sending us messages asking about the new CE. Stay tuned, guys! Good stuff is coming and we would love for all of you to be here.

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

*super like like* ? 

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Hi guys. Hope you are doing fine. I think its been about 11 years since I've first join CE. Happy belated bday to #-Link-Snipped-#  & CE! #-Link-Snipped-# , good to see you. Want to revive CE Bot? Now with advancement in drone tech we can enhance it ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

.... ?  the #-Link-Snipped-#! 

• lal
    lal

Awesome! Feels home again.

#-Link-Snipped-# yes, the classic login was being missed, big time! :D

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Good to have you all here. Feels like old time!

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

CE Bot is that something like chat bot?

If not can we make a chat bot for our page? who are in for it?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

There is no plan for chat bot. I have linked to the CE BOT project. Do look at it. 

We would rather focus on humans interacting with each other.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

CE BOT project is very interesting and where are we at in rite now ? There was a thread mentioned for CEBot part two but that doesnot exist.

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

Hello hello people. Wow, it's been a long while.

I remember CE Bot. A long dream project to build a robot by connecting to engineers around the world.

That could very well be revived again. Interestingly, these days I am working on an enterprise level chat bot (virtual agent). Isn't simple designing it but coming along pretty well.

Surely it is busy these days but I believe there will be way to take some time out for CE organically.

Before we build the CEBot that we all dreamt about long ago, I would like to know what's in our minds:

1. CE Bot that rolls around? OR

2. A 4 wheeled device, with a special cuboid payload. A goldfish. Watch this for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNmL6hSNKw

I ran this project with a local accelerator for engineering students but stopped mid-way due to time constraints.

• lal
    lal

Ah! I remember spending a really long stretch of time reading and investigating the whole CE Bot thread, in one go. That thread is one of the main reasons that made me click "sign up", I confess ?

How did you guys come across CE? Would be interesting to find that out. I heard about CrazyEngineers.com in a magazine called Digit (or was it Chip?).

• durga ch
    durga ch

@ashraf - CE -bot.. ? there was another ongoing project too. Cant recollect.I think xero and shalini were working on it.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Welcome back, Durga! Happy to see you back on CE. How's life in Australia? 

PS: Are we all really serious about the CE Bot? ? 

• durga ch
    durga ch

I am doing well :) Thank you.

Quite a lot of changes to the platform I see.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Everything changed! It's all our own code as against the ready made 'XenForo' software that we used to run the forum. Fixing the '@'mention functionality right now. It's not working as expected. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Welcome back durga :) A very long time..

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain

It's been along time... This seems to be a MUCH BETTER  and awesome place now.... Nostalgic. 

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami

Everything changed...good to see all you here.....change is only constant and we should contribute towards change , keeping our nostalgia as a memory

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Wow Anil and Saurav :) good to see you guys.

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

I'm game for reviving CE Bot, or any other collaborative project on CE. I love the concept of like minded engineers working together to solve problems and share knowledge (rather than waste time in the forums trolling, flaming, etc like the standard social forums out there). Back when we started CE Bot, I believed crowd sourcing an engineering project was a brilliant idea despite being nascent (have any other similar forums pulled that off before). There wasn't enough tools available for us to coordinate beyond the CE forum and the Google Site (which surprisingly still exists #-Link-Snipped-# ). Since then over the years, collaborative tools have been spawning, allowing task management across globally disperse teams much easier and faster.

What I learnt over these years is that for any idea or change to take off, go for the small wins. If we can work on a small project that we can all collaborate easily on, its a start of many wins. 

#-Link-Snipped-# , welcome back! Still involved in IT networking? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - We're almost done with our Groups App and I think it'd be an apt place for specific projects / discussions. All the oldies will get a preview link in the next few hours. 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Tagging everyone on this thread once again to take a look at the newly launched 'Groups' #-Link-Snipped-# If you would like to join any group or become an admin, do let us know.  ? 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

#-Link-Snipped-# 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

If any of you want to create a group or become a moderator, do let us know on -
    hello [at] crazyengineers [dot] com.

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-# 

Yup! But, long time since I did anything in prod.  I have moved onto doing my PhD now- that's in software defined networking. How have things been on your end?

There are so many pet projects collecting dust. If we really want to build something we need to committing time and effort along with having a definitive plan. 

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

#-Link-Snipped-# 

That's cool. I'm  currently involved in the SDN space as well - more specifically SD-WAN. Very interesting stuff, enterprise customers really benefit from this technology for their WAN infrastructure. 

Now getting into network programming - Python for network automaton stuff. It's good to finally experience the convergence between networking and coding. 

#-Link-Snipped-# the groups look interesting, kind of like subreddits. How do we add new groups? 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# Currently, the group creating is being restricted from open public access. We are manually sharing it with select few whose ideas we like. 

You can email us your Group Idea on hello [at] crazyengineers [dot] com and we can share the further details with you there.

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-#  Very interesting to know that SD-WAN is actually a real world technology. So, are you guys using OpenFlow? Are you sticking with the actual SDN architecture?  what controller are you using?

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

#-Link-Snipped-# We are using VeloCloud as our SD-WAN partner. They have their own PoPs around the world which acts as the sdwan gateways. They are running their own proprietary tunneling protocol which connects the SD-WAN CPEs to these gateways via overlays over multiple Internet links. An immediate benefit for enterprises is migrating from expensive MPLS/IPVPN circuits to cheaper high speed broadband that is optimized, deduplicated and error-corrected by the SD-WAN infrastructure. For our end, we are running APIs to automate reporting and extend SD-WAN functionality further.

Interested to know what you are working on in SDN. You should present in the next AusNOG perhaps.

• durga ch
    durga ch

haha! there are now companies offering 'SDN as service' . Need to know industry more! . So your company has fully migrated to SD-WAN is it? how does SD-WAN compare with traditional set up? Frankly, the only SDN deployment I was ever aware of was of Google's B4 network ( so long ago). As for my PhD, I am working towards SDN controller architecture primarily. will be consolidating my proposition soon.

AusNOG is industry oriented right? I dont see call for papers as such on their website, may be its private invitation?

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

#-Link-Snipped-# , AusNOG would probably open the call for papers in June, 3 months before the event (Sept 2019). It should be open of for anyone to apply. If they like your topic, then you have opportunity to present to industry peers (who are definitely on the lookout for SDN knowledge!). 

2018 CFP: AusNOG 2018 Call for Presentations | ausnog.net

You can check last year's presentations:

AusNOG 2018 Programme | ausnog.net

The #-Link-Snipped-# presentation by Richard Nelson may be of particular interest to you.

• durga ch
    durga ch

Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# .That's useful information.Probably, that is why I could not find call for papers for this year. Will keep an eye and hopefully get some work done until then :D.  Have been using Ryu, but not Faucet and gauge.

Also, if you are interested, there is this python based OF library that is quite decent - Kytos Project · GitHub With some asycn programming, you can build a custom controller - which is awesome.

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

#-Link-Snipped-# thanks for sharing about Kyto. Can try it out in our internal "lab" for learning purposes, haha. Have been trying to push my team to learn python for networking so this is a good platform. I wonder if should set up a dedicated CE group to discuss about networking, especially on SDN / network programmability. There are bound to be a lot of members interested in this.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Groups are most likely to be merged with Discussions here and we're already working on a blueprint for it. The idea is to create separate feeds based on user's interest. While we develop it, we could have discussions in 'Technical' category which can be moved to respective groups afterwards. 

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-# - I see. Hehe. Good luck with that. We have been also been directing efforts into building SDN based courses to prepare students towards automation of networks. Quite an interesting time to be. 

If it eas, I got to know that there are some INE resources too that are good intro to netowkr automation, python and SDN. 

May be we can for now have a discussion tag as SDN: for all SDN and NFV topics. ?

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

#-Link-Snipped-# I would gladly enroll for that course.  ? 

Do we have any live deployments or PoC done for EPC stack (NFV/SDN based) ?

#-Link-Snipped-# We demand discussion group for NFV/SDN :D

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Yes, there will be a facility to create new groups, but as I said groups and discussions are merging with a more intuitive UI. In the mean time, all discussions related to NFV/SDN could be started in technical category and moved later to respective groups. ? 

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-# : are you into SDN space too? ?. Naice. openstack?

Tell me more about EPC? What's it's about!? Or may be start a new thread

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have completed my BE in IT and also done Java developer course(4 months). I m not getting job in my domain. Most of companies need framework knowledge as well...
Actually i didn't concentrate on my studies during my college days and i am regretting now and here after i will be focused on what iam doing.so could anyone reply...
I can't login from Mac, I can't make a new post from iPad. But can do all from android phone.All activities available on my android phone. Am posting from that....