04 Feb 2012

Most Amazing High Definition Image of Earth

[​IMG]
“A ‘Blue Marble’ image of the Earth taken from the VIIRS instrument aboard NASA’s most recently launched Earth-observing satellite - Suomi NPP. This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth’s surface taken on January 4, 2012. “

NASA has uploaded the full 64 Megapixel version to Flickr. Here’s a link to the Large size. From there you can click over to see the 8000×8000 image on Flickr.

Photo and quote from NASA Goddard Photo and Video.

Source: https://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/25/most-amazing-high-definition-image-of-earth/
I_am_Kunal :)

Branch Unspecified
7 years ago
Any idea how large the image of Google Earth is ?? The one which covers entire earth(down to maximum zoom level). 😀 . I mean yeah that is superimposition of many images but still , it's size in terms of megapixels must be amazing.
7 years ago
Any idea how large the image of Google Earth is ?? The one which covers entire earth(down to maximum zoom level). 😀 . I mean yeah that is superimposition of many images but still , it's size in terms of megapixels must be amazing.
It is a composition of many millions of small images. As a whole, it would be a million miles long...
To be exact, it is 510,072,000 km[sup]2[/sup]. 😉
7 years ago
Praveen-Kumar
[​IMG]
“A ‘Blue Marble’ image of the Earth taken from the VIIRS instrument aboard NASA’s most recently launched Earth-observing satellite - Suomi NPP. This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth’s surface taken on January 4, 2012. “

NASA has uploaded the full 64 Megapixel version to Flickr. Here’s a link to the Large size. From there you can click over to see the 8000×8000 image on Flickr.

Photo and quote from NASA Goddard Photo and Video.

Source: https://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/25/most-amazing-high-definition-image-of-earth/
Amazing view. You can really see the Raman effect as the thin blue band of atmosphere. That is all the extent of the so called deep blue sky.
7 years ago
bioramani
Amazing view. You can really see the Raman effect as the thin blue band of atmosphere. That is all the extent of the so called deep blue sky.
You mean to say the blue clouds? Yeah... 😀 Awesome one!!! 😁
7 years ago
Praveen-Kumar
You mean to say the blue clouds? Yeah... 😀 Awesome one!!! 😁
NO, not the clouds. If you look at the edge of the earth the thin blue band (about 2 mm thick in the above image) is the actual atmosphere surrounding the earth. I went to your link to see the full image. It is clearer in that.
born_star16

born_star16

Branch Unspecified
7 years ago
bioramani
NO, not the clouds. If you look at the edge of the earth the thin blue band (about 2 mm thick in the above image) is the actual atmosphere surrounding the earth. I went to your link to see the full image. It is clearer in that.
Ya, looks beautiful.
CE Designer

CE Designer

Branch Unspecified
7 years ago
Simply Gorgeous! 👍
7 years ago
bioramani
Oh okay... Sure... 😀
7 years ago
bioramani
Wow, I never cared to read about the Raman effect. Could you explain it very briefly, with the context of the image?
silverscorpion

silverscorpion

Branch Unspecified
7 years ago
bioramani
By any chance, did you mean Rayleigh Scattering?
7 years ago
silverscorpion
By any chance, did you mean Rayleigh Scattering?
It is Sir C.VRaman that gave the ecorrect explanation for why the sky is blue.
https://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/raman.htm
7 years ago
bioramani
It is Sir C.VRaman that gave the ecorrect explanation for why the sky is blue.
https://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/raman.htm
That was an awesome read sir! 😀
7 years ago
Praveen-Kumar
That was an awesome read sir! 😀
I had met Raman a few times. I very much wanted to do physics and work with him. It was not to be. However, I did get to work under Prof Ramaseshan, Raman's student and nephew, for many years. So in a sense I am Raman's grand student!
7 years ago
bioramani
I had met Raman a few times. I very much wanted to do physics and work with him. It was not to be. However, I did get to work under Prof Ramaseshan, Raman's student and nephew, for many years. So in a sense I am Raman's grand student!
Sir you are so lucky!!! Seriously!!! 😀

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.