Microsoft unviels its motion sensor solution

Earlier today at Electronic Entertainment Expo, Microsoft unveiled their rumored motion controller solution to the masses. But unlike the waggling, accelerometer-enabled hardware of most immersive gaming peripherals, Microsoft’s solution uses full body motion as detected by an intelligent motion and audio sensor camera, which they’ve tentatively dubbed Project Natal. We’ve seen camera interactivity in console gaming before with the Xbox Live Vision camera and the PlayStation Eye Toy, but Microsoft promises that Project Natal will go above and beyond any gaming tech we’ve seen before.

Project Natal uses several technologies simultaneously to capture and replicate a player’s motion on-screen and in-game. Natal, which could be readily described as a Wii sensor bar on sterois, uses an RGB camera, intelligent depth sensor, and multiarray microphone to collect voice commands, video, and movement with realtime physics, which is then processed by a brand new processing unit and proprietary software.

As you would expect the RGB camera is used for video and picture capture, as well as facial recognition, but the real technological meat and potatoes of the device is it’s depth sensor and processing. Project Natal’s depth sensor detects 3-D space through the use of a monochrome CMOS sensor and an infrared projector. The pairing of these two technologies, Microsoft says, makes Natal capable of detecting movement, orientation, and gestures in any lighting environment.
Project Natal’s processing is what brings all of the data together, and can differentiate between players and their environment, as well as detect specific body parts, from arms and legs to even a player’s head.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Few of the people sent their questions to Dr. Wolfram through mail to me. I received following question - Good evening Sir, I would want a small write up on...
A set of duples in an ordered list is generated by a certain symmetrical function in steps from 1 to 14. {1 1} is the zeroth member. The list starts:...
Hello Everybody, James here from USA
Hi: I'm not an engineer (or even close to it); I'm a marketing/advertising consultant--about as far as you can get!! My husband and I are (hopefully) retiring to an island...
Lifehacker - Lifehacker Pack 2009: Our List of Essential Free Windows Downloads - Lifehacker Pack 2009 (Windows)We feature downloads of all kinds every day at Lifehacker. Today, however, we're... More...