Michigan University Researchers Shine New Light On Development Of Quantum Computers

Research and Physicists at the University of Michigan has raised new hopes for the development of quantum computers and other electronics. They believe that an exotic state of matter will play the key role in it. To prove, they have discovered and confirmed several properties of the compound samarium hexaboride, results of which shut the old case of classifying materials. It was a mystery that has been investigated since the late 1960s.

The researchers provide the first and convincing evidence that samarium hexaboride can conduct electricity like metal over surface and block current like rubber through interiors, which makes it a Topological Insulator. To physicists it is an exciting class of solids that behaves in such unique way. The samarium hexaboride, abbreviated as SmB6, maintains its chemical composition throughout despite having a two way behaviour. The surface of SmB6 holds the rare Dirac electrons which helps researches to overcome the difficulties of quantum computing.

SmB6

Co- author Lu Li claimed that the deeper understanding of samarium hexaboride raises the possibility that engineers might one day route the flow of electric current through quantum computers just like they do on silicon in conventional electronics. He also said that, no one had found Dirac electrons in such a strongly correlated material. While he also thinks the material is not the answer but the combination of properties is. So they are looking for similar candidates who will show similar combination of properties.

The only drawback with this SmB6 is that, the behaviour was observed at ultra-cold temperature and so they are yet to share results about room temperature. What are your views on this new research about quantum computing? Share it through comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramki JK
    Ramki JK
    interesting..........
  • Ravi teja sayana
    Ravi teja sayana
    yes... really interesting...
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Totally amazing. I wonder what would be the fate of the Traveling Salesman problem if Quantum Computing gains momentum.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

asokfair submitted a new project: Ultrasonic Distance Meter - Ultrasonic This Distance Meter has built with ARM Controller. It has the HCSR04 Ultrasonic module and 7SEG display.It can measure the...
Hi I want to do PhD thesis on Stacking Sequence Effect of Composites on Vibration. Can you please guide me
Few days ago a Firefox Phone from LG was up in rumors and this time around there is a tweet leaking its specifications. This information was tweeted by @upleaks as...
Logging in from popular social networking sites like Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn etc. is probably the most convenient way to use the resources of your favourite website. However, how safe it...
I am searching in google after professors websites or articles \ papers or video lectures in very accurate motors (1 nanometer), that use the principles of piezoelectric and ceramic motor...