Materials Science & Engineering

hey!s i guess we are missing one important and "the" most fascinating engineering trade in today's world!
THE MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING!!!
calling out material science s out here! lets getit started.

Replies

• crook
    crook
    Not many materials science engineers on ce. Of course it is an interesting branch of engineering.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, its pretty interesting. My uni offers the course, but not many people opt for it.

If im not mistaken, its thanks to material engineers we have things like composite materials, the semiconductor wafers, superconducting ceramics, etc.. 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ya of course, material science is one of the most fascinating branches of engineering, which is on the rise nowadays... There are very little colleges and univ's offering this course and there are very little takers too, but still i feel certain that materials science is booming... With the advancement of new technologies like shape memory alloys and micro electro mechanical systems, material science is an area to be watched for new developments...
  • suyash
    suyash
    ash
    If im not mistaken, its thanks to material engineers we have things like composite materials, the semiconductor wafers, superconducting ceramics, etc.. 😀 With the advancement of new technologies like shape memory alloys and micro electro mechanical systems, material science is an area to be watched for new developments...
    Yeah.. I am proud to be a material science engg, and the most exciting course that I have been through is the one dealing with above..
    with nano technology coming into fore, some superb developments are on the way !
    please form a seperate super thread for this engg branch too...
    maybe then the CEans will come out with more on this or maybe it can be later segregated out when substantial topics are there..
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    vov! this is great. couldnot get any better for CE.
    suyash : can i know what eaxctly you are working on?
    because off late , materials science&metallurgy has become such a huge world of its own ranging from smart materials structure/self-assembling material structures[like sma`s ->shape memory alloys used instead of cement for structures, so debris can be brought back to life in case of calamities like earthquake`s] to plutonium metallurgy to modern composite materials[centrAl, an abbreviation of Central Reinforced Aluminium ->stronger than the carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) and considerably lower manufacturing and maintenance costs.also has been recently used in aircraft wings such as the Boeing 787.] and the list goes on and on and on.

i hope that atleast from now on CE`ans may look forward for some magic of material sciences being unfolded😁

• Breeze
    Breeze
    hi everyone
    i'm late
    but i think we are lost!
    MSE is not a session or sub-forum?
    Maybe a joke made by the God!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi Breeze,

We are not lost! Having a separate section for Materials engineering and not having enough content in it, looks odd. I request all Materials Sciences Engineers to start the discussions in our 'Other Engineering Trades' section. Once we have sufficient number of discussions, we'll start a separate section.

-The Big K-
  • suyash
    suyash
    rosh009
    vov! this is great. could not get any better for CE.
    suyash : can i know what exactly you are working on?

because off late , materials science & metallurgy has become such a huge world of its own ranging from smart materials structure/self-assembling material structures like sma`s ->shape memory alloys used instead of cement for structures, so debris can be brought back to life in case of calamities like earthquake`s to plutonium metallurgy to modern composite materials like centrAl, an abbreviation of Central Reinforced Aluminium -> stronger than the carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) and considerably lower manufacturing and maintenance costs. also has been recently used in aircraft wings such as the Boeing 787 and the list goes on and on and on.

i hope that atleast from now on CE`ans may look forward for some magic of material sciences being unfolded😁

Hey... I am still continuing with my engineering and right now in my final semester. Yes, one thing I can assure you though is that through the courses that are offered at my institute, we have brushed up on most of the developments that you have listed...

Obviously material science is the treadmill on which many futuristic advanced inventions and optimizations will be running like anything ...

had visited HAL , bangalore... during my industrial visit and had seen how carbon reinforced fibre plastics are involved in the making of "Dhruva" ... which is India's lightest helicopter having combat capabilities like none other in the whole world...

even my final year project involves production of single phase nano powder of NiO for anode material synthesis of fuel cells...
    must say.. last 3 years in materials engg have been quite good !!!

if there are any more materials engg... please do contribute your experiences / works/ projects etc...
  • crook
    crook
    Breeze
    hi everyone
    i'm late
    but i think we are lost!
    MSE is not a session or sub-forum?
    Maybe a joke made by the God!
    Start discussing topics related to materials engineering.
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    suyash
    Hey... I am still continuing with my engineering and right now in my final semester. Yes, one thing I can assure you though is that through the courses that are offered at my institute, we have brushed up on most of the developments that you have listed...

Obviously material science is the treadmill on which many futuristic advanced inventions and optimizations will be running like anything ...

had visited HAL , bangalore... during my industrial visit and had seen how carbon reinforced fibre plastics are involved in the making of "Dhruva" ... which is India's lightest helicopter having combat capabilities like none other in the whole world...

even my final year project involves production of single phase nano powder of NiO for anode material synthesis of fuel cells...
    must say.. last 3 years in materials engg have been quite good !!!

if there are any more materials engg... please do contribute your experiences / works/ projects etc...

nice to see someone working on hardcore nanoscience.
    you are working on NiO ? would like to know more about it. like
    *WHY particularly NiO for anode material?
    *what does single phase nano powder mean?

and also would like to know your views on future of TITANIUM element.
    because i have read numerous applications of this amazing element. but what i got to know from some people working on it is that ITS VERY UNECONOMICAL IN PRODUCTION!
    so, how are the materials engineers taking interest in solving this issue?
  • suyash
    suyash
    to "rosh009"

thanks for you appreciating my final year project and enquiring about its details...

to exactly provide you the info wont be in my capacity, but I will try to explain it as possible...

actually the project is an initiative related to a BARC research... (production of fuel cells) which happens to be the PhD work of my project guide...
    the selection of NiO as the anode material was decided earlier based on its high temperature performance with respect to homogenity, sinterability, strength, porosity fraction, conduction etc etc (the list is quite long, seriously 😎)

anyways... nano powder basically means that the particle size diameter is extremely small... in the ranges of 10^-9 mts !!!
    that was incredible for me too... but now I'm coming to grips with the same...

and with regards to single phase powders...its quite essential to have the same phase of a substance when you are working at nano level since any change in the structural parameters leads to abnormalities which might play havoc (this, i'm quoting my prof !!)

will let you know abt Titanium later... I gotta mug up some boring stuff for the pending exams !!
    hope I've been of help to u..
  • arshadahmed2001
    arshadahmed2001
    hi friends ,

my name is arshad . i just passed 3rd year . i want to do a project on metalurgy and material science (spec weilding aspects) . so please guide me to dtsrt my project .
  • arshadahmed2001
    arshadahmed2001
    i also want to know the different aspect of weilding in practical field .
  • ANUPAM SHARMA1
    ANUPAM SHARMA1
    hi friends,

i am 3rd year mechanical student i want to know about the different computer languages and softwares
    which should i learn to become a good mechanical engineer.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is concerned with the relation between the structure and properties of materials, factors which control the internal structure, and processes for altering the structure and properties. It brings together in a unified discipline the developments in physical metallurgy, ceramics, and the physics and chemistry of solids.
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    You are right Ernesha.

Mat.Sci. engineering is a beautiful subject concerned with the (romantic) chemistry between physical molecules (at the nano-level) leading to leading to materials which are till date known to be just sci-fi!

s!. i'm back... watch out for this thread in the coming days.
    Will be talking more on a new era of materials- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL NANOMATERIALS

Cheers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Probably not a good topic for debate. But you'll agree, its an interesting topic! What, according to you, was the greatest engineering achievement in 20th century & why? -The Big...
HEllo friends I have CD RW previously now I borrow a DVD RW with my friends to copy some material when I connect it to my PC in a same...
Hey everyone, I am in the process of completing my senior design project in school and am in need of some assistance with a portion of it. Essentially want I...
Hi, TV is full of SMS votes and reality shows. Do you think what they show on tv is real?
HI DEAR FRDS IAM SAIF IAM PERSUING MY ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGG FROM JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY FROM HYDERABAD. I NEED SOME ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT CAN BE DONE IN...