20th Century: Greatest Engineering Achievement

Probably not a good topic for debate. But you'll agree, its an interesting topic!

What, according to you, was the greatest engineering achievement in 20th century & why?

-The Big K-

Replies

• crook
    crook
    Nothing else comes closer to man landing on moon. I can only try to imagine how much efforts & engineering it required to take man into space.
  • LORD_EC
    LORD_EC
    Greatest engineering achievement- God sent an engineer on earth on 26th June,1987.
    I think that was the biggest achievement for this world to have such an engineer-LORD_EC

Lol
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    LORD_EC
    Greatest engineering achievement- God sent an engineer on earth on 26th June,1987.
    I think that was the biggest achievement for this world to have such an engineer-LORD_EC

Lol
    Are your parents engineers? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Lol @ LORD_EC

I suppose I have to agree with Crook. At first I wanted to say the Sputnik launch by the USSR (Russia) was the greatest, but after weighing that with a human landing on Moon, can't compare in terms of technical achievement ๐Ÿ˜›

Rather, Sputnik's launch was more the most "significant" engineering achievement in the 20th century. It sparked the space age race, plus, it actually led to the creation of US's NASA!

Back to the landing of Moon.. it combined many different disciplines of engineering with their respective breakthroughs. Mechanical: aeronautics, dynamics, statics, engines, rocket structure, Chemical: rocket fuel, oxygen supply, Material: space suits, rocket shielding/skin, Electrical/Electronics: power supplies, life support systems, computers and most importantly, communications ๐Ÿ˜‰... amongst others. It requires alot of effort!

Can't wait until we land a man on Mars ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe some of us Crazy Engineers will take part in it! haha
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    TCP/IP - By Tim Berners - Lee, who is ofer often referred to as Father of the Internet. Last time I heard, he was working in Google, on the Inter-Planetary Internet. Wherein, data-packets will be sent ala satellites into orbits via different planets which would be acting like nodes in a network.

Why does this qualify - well, without this, we would not be surfing on the different sites. Information per say would not have been that free and accessible to everyone.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Von Neumann Architecture

- There woudn't be Personal Computers
    - No Internet
    - No Moon landing
    - No CrazyEngineers ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MaRo
    Von Neumann Architecture

- There woudn't be Personal Computers

- No CrazyEngineers ๐Ÿ˜
    Aye! ๐Ÿ˜

Let's say we get first place in 21st Century Greatest Engineering Achievements.

• EGYSHIMO
    EGYSHIMO
    i think it was computer and internet... without it .. there was no development
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What else can we add to the list here?

Would like to listen the thoughts of new CEans.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    The Transistor!

Without it, there would only be ENIAC - Wikipedia computers, no PCs, and few of them and governments would own them all.

And radios and TVs would be bigger and less reliable. And there would be no portable MP3 players or even Walkmans, and certainly no smartphones. And we would probably still be winding our wristwatches every morning.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HEllo friends I have CD RW previously now I borrow a DVD RW with my friends to copy some material when I connect it to my PC in a same...
Hey everyone, I am in the process of completing my senior design project in school and am in need of some assistance with a portion of it. Essentially want I...
Hi, TV is full of SMS votes and reality shows. Do you think what they show on tv is real?
HI DEAR FRDS IAM SAIF IAM PERSUING MY ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGG FROM JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY FROM HYDERABAD. I NEED SOME ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT CAN BE DONE IN...
hey hi, I m a 3rd yr mechanical engineering student....i along with my 4 friends(2 mech engg, 1 IT, 1 ETC)all of which are of the 3rd yr..... want to...