Material helps build a lightweight train - Bullet proof bullet train perhaps

The Fraunhofer Institute for Chemical Technology ICT has developed a new polyurethane based sandwich material that seems to answer all tests for structural strength and flame resistance. This can lead to significant fuel savings if used extensively for transport vehicles including rolling stock. In trials the material comfotably passed tests in the very demanding application of diesel locomotine engine housing, resisting damage by flying stones.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    brilliant. Thank you for sharing this. I do wonder about the cost and the working processes for this material.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A generation of experienced engineers are approaching retirement in the UK without suitable people to replace them. I feel that the situation is not far better in India and probably...
I did basic searches on Google but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'd appreciate if you could give me pointers to relevant sources. Here's what I'm trying to do:-...
My full name is Tsion Getachew Beka.i live in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).i'm fourth year ECE (communication stream)student in Addis Ababa university institute of technology.i like reading,watching movies,chatting with friends &...
Engineers are considered to be doers and not talkers. The best they can manage is to sketch something and use monosyllabic jargon in talking to others of the ilk. But...
Civil engineering projects have now become major mechanical engineering marvels. Boring a 7.1 m diameter tunnel is mind boggling. We should take pride that engineers can do such tasks. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/1012220.article?cmpid=TE01