Live CD

LiveDistro (Live CD) is a generic term for a operating system distribution that is executed upon boot, without installation on a hard drive. Typically, it is stored on bootable media such as a CD-ROM (Live CD), DVD (Live DVD), USBUSB flash drive - Wikipedia Flash Drive (Live USB), among others.
The term "live" derives from the fact that it does not reside on a hard drive. Rather, it is "brought to life" upon boot without having to be physically installed onto a hard drive.
A LiveDistro does not alter the current operating system or files unless the user specifically requests it. The system returns to its previous state when the LiveDistro is ejected and the computer is rebooted. It does this by placing the files that typically would be stored on a hard drive into temporary memory, such as a ram disk. In fact, a hard drive is not needed at all. However, this does cut down on the RAM available to applications, reducing performance somewhat. At least 256 MB of RAM is recommended, but some LiveDistros do fine with less.
It is often said LiveDistros are a good way to demo or preview an operating system without having to install it to a hard drive.

Replies

• vrk1219
    vrk1219
    Neha
    It is often said LiveDistros are a good way to demo or preview an operating system without having to install it to a hard drive.
    Carrying the settings and themes of personal computer is the idea behind creation of live CDs. Knoppix, a popular Linux Live CD was created by Klaus Knopper, who felt the systems where he used to carry his presentations were not satisfactory. He used to feel uncomfortable with the settings and themes, so then inorder to carry on with his own works he thought of creating such live CD.

For more information please refer to the following URL:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Regards
    RK
  • Mayank
    Mayank
    Hi,

I just want to share one thing.
    I have used Knoppix and found that it does makes some files on your hard drive, basically for some "SWAP SPACE". So just wanted to say there is a small exception to "In fact, a hard drive is not needed at all".

Thanks and Regards,
    Mayank Shukla.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well have some doubt if anybody could clear. Is it advisible to use a portable CD for all the major projects one undertakes? As in you can always loose things.
  • pad
    pad
    "In fact, a hard drive is not needed at all" is quite true.

test it with removing ur HDD and boot form LiveDisk. it will work.

swap etc enhances performance thats all.

Mayank
    Hi,

I just want to share one thing.
    I have used Knoppix and found that it does makes some files on your hard drive, basically for some "SWAP SPACE". So just wanted to say there is a small exception to "In fact, a hard drive is not needed at all".

Thanks and Regards,
    Mayank Shukla.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    All your explains were clear,

Just so or explains us with a Real Time Example .

So that it would be much Clear.

Regards,
    A.SK...
  • akravikanth
    akravikanth
    The famous popular live cd for the linux is Knoppix, any Linux enthusiast know this.

Actullay we can also create our own live cd, by modifying an existing Linux Live cd. For that you require a single partition, fully formatted,of atleast 4 GB, because when you decompress a live cd of 650-700 MB, the footprint will be upto 4 GB. Then you can add some tools, remove unwanted, make your own logo and also can change the kernel version , and finally you have to recompile it.

Two years ago, when i was studying second year, i created a live cd for myself with my favourite tools. You have to be very careful when doing this, or you will end up with total mess. I messed with for 3 times when i created my own live CD. Also i had a live CD used by german policemen for use with tracking and dealing with cyber crimes. They are having some very important tools in that cd. But i missed it.. I tried it but most of the tools not worked for me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans! 😀 Check out our main page ( you know that the quickest way to visit our main page is to click on the 'CRAZYENGINEERS' logo at the top 😁...
All the best to all the CAT aspirants. Do well!!!
Two NY Times Bestselling Authors teamed up to teach how to be rich. I'm talking about Robert Kiyosaki & Donald Trumps' latest offering - "Why We Want You To Be...
Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Defragmenter What does it actually do? When Windows writes a file to disk it doesn't just write one big physically continuous area of...
hey guyz m currently studin in london rite now and i am living with sum family here and they have free wifi but hte problem is dat i have 9...