Jolla Sailfish Can Take Place Of Android! (Here's Why)

From the recent update by Jolla it is confirmed that Sailfish OS is now fully compatible with Android. This Linux based OS is capable of running Android applications. More to that, Sailfish OS can be flashed & operated on hardware designed for Android (that's the best part !)

CEO of Jolla Tomi Pienimaki told ZDnet that,"We have tested quite few [Android phones] ourselves,” Pienimäki was quoted as saying. “We have simply bought a device from a shop and then installed Sailfish on it. We’re confident that you can run this on quite a few different Android hardwares."

Mozilla Firefox OS : doesn't support Android compatibility, but supports easy porting of the Android applications which are based on HTML5.

Ubuntu's Touch : Doesn't support Android compatibility too, but they're aiming to offer the users to dual-boot their smartphone & switch between two as per user's choice.

Tizen : Intel & Samsung backed Opensource OS reveals no news.

Jolla Sailfish : Supports Android compatibility. Can Flash Jolla Sailfish in hardware designed for Android phones (hence you can run Sailfish in your current Android devices, most probably)

Share your views, CEans.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This should be in the Gadget / Apps / Software section. Thread moved.

Okay, let me understand this - if we're ultimately going to be running the android apps - why should I bother about the operating system? I can mimic the look and feel of any operating system I want and also have custom launchers configured. I think I had spotted an app that makes Android Jelly Bean look like iOS7.

I see it as yet another 'mee to' mobile operating system. The whole OS game will be controlled by the hardware makers and I don't see any operating system replacing iOS, Android and Microsoft in the next 2-3 years at least.
  • lal
    lal
    I have a feeling that this time it's going to be different. This OS will be, I believe, able to make use of the powerful hardware many people have these days in their pockets to its limits. I think this is something like old Maemo (The amazing Nokia N900). It was a very flexible OS with amazing power to tweak accordingly, yeah the Linux way! Some how Android lacks that power, flexibility. Though the hand held smartphones and tablets have the hardware capabilities of a desktop PC or even more, there is nothing great or exceptional that can be done with it. I believe that is a limitation of Android OS (Not just android, but most existing mobile Operating Systems).

With ability to run Meego applications, Android applications and rpm packages, this time it is going to be bigger!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Jolla Sailfish can run rpm packages ? 😨
    I didn't knew that.

If this is true then I am glad they didn't selected deb or aur packages. I have nothing against debian & arch, I just love yum. It's better than apt.
    Anyways, off-topic.
  • lal
    lal
    Yeah I read so. It will support Android apps, Meego apps, rpm packages and Jolla apps. And, as was in maemo, there will be terminal too!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its really nice that tech lovers will have options to test against android os.The best part is that it can run android apps but I am having a small doubt in it.Does sailfish os has any apps for their own , is there any store for it, Is it an opensource?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sailfish OS still ain't released officially, hence I don't think there's any Sailfish specific app. however, Sailfish developers have ported instagram,spotify & few other android apps in Sailfish & it is working without any glitch.

And yeah, Sailfish is Opensource.
    Have you tried it?
    Can I run sailfish on my galaxy young? What are the softwares needed to flash it?Is it legal to flash my phone?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Have you tried it?
    Nope, I haven't. Like I said, the OS image haven't publicly released.

Can I run sailfish on my galaxy young?
    Maybe/Maybe not. Everything will be answered when Sailfish OS will be officially released.

What are the softwares needed to flash it?Is it legal to flash my phone?
    Switch of the phone. Now press (Volume up button + home button + power button). This will put your device into recovery mode. You can flash the ROM then. This is strictly for Android ROMs.

Note : Different ROMs can have different method of flashing it, few requires CWM to wipe & mount /system, /cache while some can be flashed directly from recovery mode.
    Flashing Ubuntu touch from Android phones has quite different method.

And ofcourse, flashing is legal; What's bad in flashing the Android ?
    Its quite handy.Thanks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

#include #include int main() { int no; char ch[0]="Even"; char ch[1]="odd"; printf("Enter a no. \t"); scanf("%d",&no); printf("\n The no. is %s",ch[no%2]); return (0); } // in above c code using...
I've been using BSNL FTTH service (unlimited 2 Mbps) plan and totally satisfied with the quality of service. My only complaint has been with the tariff BSNL has on the...
Leapmotion has been making news everywhere since its introductory video was launched. But when people had the device delivered to them, there wasn't the right kind of talk that the...
One of the crazy things on internet In reply, Marisaa Mayer retweeing these tweets 😁 Twitter page: https://twitter.com/marissamayer