Is it possible to use Jmeter to functional test a web application?

So I was given a list of Test Cases and to see if they would work with jmeter.

This web application runs on websphere application server.

After reading through the test cases and reading/skimming through the jmeter faq/homepage, my conclusion is NO.

Here is an example of one of the test cases:
input --- expected result
1. the user br.user logs into the application--- home page for br.user displayed
2. # of work packages should be correct --- count should match with count received
3. br.user logs off
4. cac.user logs in to app --- home page for cac.user displayed
5. # of work packages should be correct --- count should match with count received

So after reading that test case, it seems more like a functional test, rather than a performance test? I don't think jmeter can test a correct home page being shown or that a certain # should be displayed on the page, am I correct? I just need a second opinion. jmeter is a performance test that simulates for example, 100 requests to a page. is that true?

In other words, jmeter cannot execute very app-specific test cases, true or false?

thx

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi rlee7

As far as I know, yes it is basically used to test for performance testing, means if 100 users are logging into your web application then how much time it takes to load a particular page but for functional test, test it through browser, that would be much better but you can test it in jmeter also - in "View Request Tree" you can see , Response or request(don't remember exactly tab) tab , select "View as HTML" radio option, if your web page is coming fine that means it is functionally correct, but if you want to check for any validations and submit things, Sorry it wouldn't show.

Yes maximum it can test for only 100 users.

PS: Please correct me is anything wrong shared.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Are you a Blaze or a Trojan Warrior? The latest range of Speedglas welding masks from 3M, the diversified technology company, has arrived. Designed specifically for the occasional welder who...
Hi CEans, Do you know who are all "THE WORLDS BEST HACKERS" , well if you don't know!! Here is a chance to meet them..... The Master minds behind many...
hello buddy how are you dear i read your comment it's great i like it dear i learn alot of things from your comment i hope everyone likes your post...
Here is the Box in which you have to put all 26 letters of Alphabet.. A to Z Rules: 1. A and Z have the Fix Position as shown in...
Hi guys!....i am doing my final year project in degree....and i was wondering is there any topic in VB which doesn't deal with management system?.........can help?............i need a topic which...