Interfacing GPS And GSM with Microcontroller

Hi,
could u please explain me how to interface gps and gsm together with microcontroller(8051)

Replies

• wassup
    wassup
    More information required buddy. What module of GPS do you have? What are you trying to do ?
    If you are doing complex stuff move on to DSPs not microcontrollers.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    well mostly GPRS and GSM modem are easily interface with microcontroller by simple Serial Communication called UART.
  • bramin19
    bramin19
    Re: interfacing gps with microcontroller

can u please give ideas on how to write code for MCU to extract data from GPS reciever?
    I wish to use 8051. suggest me a GPS reciever.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

bramin19
    can u please give ideas on how to write code for MCU to extract data from GPS reciever?
    I wish to use 8051. suggest me a GPS reciever.
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is the GPS Module and you have to simple extract the bytes from the data you received from GPS module to your Controller via UART (SERIAL).
  • shahrul
    shahrul
    GSM, use UART to send AT Command. Ex #-Link-Snipped-#.
    GPS, use UART to read NMEA protocol.
    If you combine this 2, you need microcontroller that have 2 UART.
  • sssss1616
    sssss1616

friend can you give brief idea about the c-language code for how to display latitude & longitude on lcd through sunrom gps with microcontroller using NMEA protocol
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

sssss1616
    friend can you give brief idea about the c-language code for how to display latitude & longitude on lcd through sunrom gps with microcontroller using NMEA protocol
    Before that Do you have interfaced your LCD with Controller? and its working properly? If then you just have to extract the Latitude and Longitude from the string you received from GPS Module. and put it on LCD.

Or just post your demo code whatever you have tried.
  • yashelectron
    yashelectron
    hello sir would u like 2 help me..........
  • yashelectron
    yashelectron
    any body help me , is there any command to extract data from gps module when we interface with PC.
    plz help me it's argent.........
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    yashelectron
    hello sir would u like 2 help me..........
    Hello Yash,

Sure we are here to help you mate, But please follow some basic rules of this forum.

Okey now back to your problem. Can you please let us know that which GPS Module you are using?
  • yashelectron
    yashelectron
    First i m sorry that i posted 2 time .by mistake(when i was posting my thread it was not showing due to disconnection of net ,that's why i tried again ) i hv posted 2 times. sir u can delete "interfacing pic micro controller with GSM " threade .
    Now thanks for Repply actually i want to about interfacing of GPS moudule with 16f877.i hv worked on GSM module.Please can u refer me any advance GPS module. Sir first i want to confident about elementary knowledge interfacing GPS module wd mic , then i want 2 go on hardware part bcs i buy module from foreign country .
    So it is humble request to guide me. 1. pls tell me how extract data from gps so that i can display long/alti on display ,is there any command like AT for GSM.
    2.Since there is need of two usart tell me any pic series mic,so that i can read about that .but firstly i want 2 concentrate on only extracting data only
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    yashelectron
    First i m sorry that i posted 2 time .by mistake(when i was posting my thread it was not showing due to disconnection of net ,that's why i tried again ) i hv posted 2 times. sir u can delete "interfacing pic micro controller with GSM " threade .
    Now thanks for Repply actually i want to about interfacing of GPS moudule with 16f877.i hv worked on GSM module.Please can u refer me any advance GPS module. Sir first i want to confident about elementary knowledge interfacing GPS module wd mic , then i want 2 go on hardware part bcs i buy module from foreign country .
    So it is humble request to guide me. 1. pls tell me how extract data from gps so that i can display long/alti on display ,is there any command like AT for GSM.
    2.Since there is need of two usart tell me any pic series mic,so that i can read about that .but firstly i want 2 concentrate on only extracting data only
    No problem mate, You're welcome to CE.

well here is the one GPS Module have a look at its data-sheet and they have mentioned everything there if you want to interface with PC then one software is also available you can trial on that. #-Link-Snipped-#
    And here one more GPS module available #-Link-Snipped-#

Well i have not much knowledge of PIC series controller so i can help to select the controller but there are many controller available with 2 UART in higher range.
  • yashelectron
    yashelectron
    hello sir thanks for yr kind reply;
    Sir i hv read gps data sheet and every thing is clear in spite of confusion that-
    1- Is gps receiver output all massages( GGA,GLL,GSA,GSV,RMC,VTC and ZDA) simultaneously that is given in data sheet at page 8?.
    if it output all then we hv take data only GLL that contain "lattitued/longitude".
    2- is it update al data at every second are more time.
    Thankyou!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    yashelectron
    hello sir thanks for yr kind reply;
    Sir i hv read gps data sheet and every thing is clear in spite of confusion that-
    1- Is gps receiver output all massages( GGA,GLL,GSA,GSV,RMC,VTC and ZDA) simultaneously that is given in data sheet at page 8?.
    if it output all then we hv take data only GLL that contain "lattitued/longitude".
    2- is it update al data at every second are more time.
    Thankyou!
    Well i don't know exactly will take a look and let you know.
  • krupa vachhani
    krupa vachhani
    i have to trasmit data serially from GPS to GSM using two UART micro-controller ....... which kind of coding i should use??........
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    krupa vachhani
    i have to trasmit data serially from GPS to GSM using two UART micro-controller ....... which kind of coding i should use??........
    That's very simple Your GPS Module gives you data serially you can save that data in your Microcontroller and after processing or without processing you can send it to GSM via another UART. And as you know these things can you explain your problem in detail please where exactly you stuck in coding?
  • nauman_mrd
    nauman_mrd
    Hey Dear Friend
    i have designed this circuit in which i have interfaced GSM Module Sim900D and GPS M89 Module with Atmel 89c51. Can anybdy write code for me?
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes we can connect gps and GSM to microcontroller 8051 family
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes we can do the interface of GSM and GPS with microcontroller with MAX232 as following circuit.7and 8 pin of MAX are connected to RXD andTXD of GSM respectively ,then GPS TXD is connected to 13th pin of MAX is connected to GPS TXD PIN and then UC is connected to 10th and 12th pin of max to RXD and TXD pins of controller to MAX.
    it follows in below ckt with logic probs.
  • nauman_mrd
    nauman_mrd
    arunchary
    yes we can do the interface of GSM and GPS with microcontroller with MAX232 as following circuit.7and 8 pin of MAX are connected to RXD andTXD of GSM respectively ,then GPS TXD is connected to 13th pin of MAX is connected to GPS TXD PIN and then UC is connected to 10th and 12th pin of max to RXD and TXD pins of controller to MAX.
    it follows in below ckt with logic probs.
    Can you please write a code for the circuit that i have designed ?
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes, please send such that i can write......
  • nauman_mrd
    nauman_mrd
    arunchary
    yes, please send such that i can write......
    can you please provide me your email address so thati can send you the circuit. i am unable to attach a pdf file here in which i have my circuit.

Thanks
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    nauman_mrd
    Hey Dear Friend
    i have designed this circuit in which i have interfaced GSM Module Sim900D and GPS M89 Module with Atmel 89c51. Can anybdy write code for me?
    Have you tried to write code for the same? You just have to write serial communication command in case of 8051 same way GPS Module can be interfaced with SPI communication.

I have used ARM7 with SIM900D and currently working on same. What is the part number of the GPS Module you are using?
  • nauman_mrd
    nauman_mrd
    GPS used is Holux M89. connected with Serial port (RX) using Multiplexer (74157). because we need to data from GSM and GPS both at different time intervals.
  • suhaila km
    suhaila km
    friends, please help me i want to interface gps and gsm module with ma pic 16f877a.i want to message the location to a mobile phone

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am final year mechanical engg student. i m searching for project
guys will u please explain me hw to organise a junkyard...i am new to this 😔 so i need some elaboration...plz!!! i need ideas...
can any one suggest me the procedure for calculating the amount of effort applied for pushing the pedal of a cycle..so that i can calculate the torque applied.....!
My (all-girls) college is conducting the first ever tech fest in India where only girls can participate. We have a list of sponsors, we have a truckload of events and...
I have done MSc. in computers from pune university. After that i joined IT. Now i have 5+ years experience in Java/J2EE..i am working as a Senior Software Engineer in...