Intel's Cougar Point Sandy Bridge Chips Are Flawed. Recalled.

Intel's 6 Series Cougar Point Sandy Bridge Chipsets have been identified with a flaw that's likely to cost the company about $700 million for recall. The company is offering 'silicon fix' for all the affected chipsets. If you're the one with those faulty chips, you need not worry. It takes time for the faulty chips to actually show degraded performance. The term 'Silicon Fix' isn't a good word in the chipset business as it indicates that something's gone terribly wrong with the chip design. Intel has already freezed the shipment of new chips in the series and the new chips will begin shipping with the fix. In their press release, Intel mentions that second generation Core i5 and i7 processors have been affected. [​IMG]

Intel acknowledged that the chips have been identified to have a problem with the SATA controller which leads to degradation of the ports over a period of time and results into poor i/o performance of the related devices such as HDD and optical drives. For the first quarter of 2011, Intel expects this issue to reduce revenue by approximately $300 million as the company discontinues production of the current version of the chipset and begins manufacturing the new version.

Full-year revenue is not expected to be materially affected by the issue. Total cost to repair and replace affected materials and systems in the market is estimated to be $700 million.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An idea struck my mind which could be a great final year project idea 😁 . The idea is to develop a mobile app, preferably on Java for larger compatibility...
When you see something that is technically sweet, you just go for it and do it and after getting the success, you argue about what to do with it! That...
It always feels great to see 3D movies and one is always thrilled to play 3D games. It always creates a wonderful animated effect of something occurring in a realistic...
In the beginning televisions were made from CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), then came the era of flat screen, LCD, Plasma, LED and now we can say virtual screens also. Watching...
Another revolution in the field of electrical engineering is the epoxy resin dry type of transformers. Transformer is a device that transfers power at one voltage level to the power...